Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project
      #192146 - 20/10/11 12:13 AM

At last a chance to post some photos of a recent pickup... a 1972 Brno ZKK600 (rare early pop-up peep with twin assist springs and lock screw!) fitted with the standard trigger.

It had been converted by a reasonable gunsmith from 7x57mm to 9.3x62mm utilising the existing front banded swivel and foresight ramp... which means a nice trim and lightweight rifle, a 24" barrel should get the most from the cartridge.

The checkering was quite carefully recut, but the original front barrel bedding tension screw was deleted and the hole rather crudely filled in with bedding compound.

Seen a lot of carrying but not much use... fairly standard for a Sambar rifle.
The bore was mirror bright when I finally got all the powder fouling and copper out

Unfortunately at some stage the rifle passed onto someone who really didn't care for it... very poorly fitted recoil pad, two 5/8" holes drilled into the butt to lighten it has upset the balance and shifted it too far forward, various screw heads butchered etc.

Since I got it at a very good price, I thouight i would have fun restoring it and sharing the process with forum members who appreciate the ZKK!

Will provide updates as I go... but as a start here's the 'before' shots

Note gap between end of extractor to receiver... the ZKK extractor has been replaced by the slightly shorter M98 extractor
Luckily a CZ550 extractor is the same as a ZKK!

Someone has done a poor bedding job, which has meant the stock has cracked around the recoil reinforcement and rear tang.
I intend to try and fix the stock, but if too far gone will replace it.

Note 'mousetrap' coiled trigger assist spring to replace the original flat one

Update... metalwork is now well into the white, should clean up nicely... more shots to follow soon!
I'm being careful to retain or restore crisp edges, peening galled screw heads back in place... enjoyable when you can take the time to get it right

Edited by CptCurl (28/11/11 01:08 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: TilleyMan]
      #192149 - 20/10/11 02:13 AM

Will be a great hunting rifle in a usable caliber. Will be fun to see this project proceed....

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: Sville]
      #192152 - 20/10/11 02:52 AM

Any time there is metal to metal fitting between the top and bottom metal, without the intermediate piece of metal being ONE with the stock, the stock will split. This is due to the impossibility of a tight fit of the barrled actio in the stock- it is tight only to a moving object - the bottom metal. This cracking happens at the wrist as well as at the recoil lug. Loosness when screws are tight is the reason 90% of Husky's rifle's are cracked through the wrist - the steel tube prevents a compressed wood fit between the bottom and top metal after the wood shrinks or compresses slighlty. It appoears part of the steel tube has been removed and the bottom tang area bedded to allow a hard fit. I suggest the cracked wrist was pre-bedding.

Is the crack though the recoil lug surface in the bedding,or underneath it? Being fired when the guard screws are loose, will crack most any stock throught that area.

The bedding at the recoil lug looks fine to me.

If the crack is through the bedding, I would dremel it out, sprad the crack as much as possible, then inject heated thin acraglass into the crack and use cross bolts through the recoil lug and behind the tang, then re-bed the barreled action. A steel crossbolt could have been inlet into the recoil lug but as the stock is already cracked, a cross bolt, side to side is indicated, in my opinion.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: DarylS]
      #192172 - 20/10/11 07:58 AM

Hi Tilleyman.

My two favorite things..........ZKK's and 9.3x62.

Looks like a fun project mate.

Will be nice when finished.

Tony Small,Afro408 has my old ZKK 600 stock that was pretty good if you are interested contact him.

Look forward to this one.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: FATBOY404]
      #192192 - 20/10/11 01:04 PM

Fun project, indeed!

Oh, Daryl...here we go again with those dang-blasted-F!&(!%#@%!!&%!!! stock ferrules!

Tilley, punch'em out and go from there!

I like the rifle and will look forward to the end result.

Fun indeed!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: 9.3x57]
      #192196 - 20/10/11 03:04 PM

There was never a finer stock factory rifle than the 600 series BRNO.

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: kamilaroi]
      #192297 - 22/10/11 11:16 AM

I'm really liking your rifle! I've never seen that type of aperture sight before. Really cool!

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: JDL]
      #192316 - 22/10/11 06:42 PM

Excellent pick up TM, it looks like the perfect project for you as I can remember you were always after a BRNO in 9.3x62. But what's going to happen to the 9.3x62 SAKO?

This is the sort of rifle I need to stumble onto, as I've tried to buy three ZKK's as donnor actions
and I have ended up not being able to pull them apart.

Thanks for the clear pics of the early peep sight design, the locking screw should never have been deleted. I imagine that it will be a real headache to re-assemble the sight with twin return springs as one is bad enough.

George

Poss
.224 member

Reged: 31/07/10
Loc: New England,Australia
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: GK]
      #192318 - 22/10/11 07:26 PM

No matter how old and rough they look, there's something about the ZKK's that have appeal.

Great rifle and look forward to seeing her done up.

Edited by Poss (22/10/11 07:26 PM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #192320 - 22/10/11 07:39 PM

Quote:

This is the sort of rifle I need to stumble onto, as I've tried to buy three ZKK's as donnor actions

Thanks for the clear pics of the early peep sight design, the locking screw should never have been deleted. I imagine that it will be a real headache to re-assemble the sight with twin return springs as one is bad enough.

George

Hi George,

Fear not, here is another two, one has a peep.

http://www.buyagun.com.au/5-centrefire-from-270/listings.html

http://www.evansclarke.com.au/auction_items.asp?id=6093

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Edited by CHAPUISARMES (22/10/11 07:45 PM)

TilleyMan
.333 member

#192321 - 22/10/11 07:40 PM

Quote:

Excellent pick up TM, it looks like the perfect project for you as I can remember you were always after a BRNO in 9.3x62. But what's going to happen to the 9.3x62 SAKO?

George

Thanks George

Yes, I was utterly amazed to see it in amongst a job lot of other guns that had obviously been stacked 'out the back' of the regional dealer waiting for the annual Bendigo Arms and Militaria Show. It also had a set of Talley QD mounts in similar condition... they are sound but will be brought back to the white in a grit to match the rest of the rifle.

Ah, yes... the Sako AV 9.3x62mm will stay with me, just not to be used as a general knock-about hunting rifle. It was in mint condition when I got it with a very nice fiddle back grained stock, but was getting too damaged when chasing Sambar in the sort of heavy country they like. So the ZKK will fill that role now...

Agree the early pop-up peep sights are the one to go for, the lock screw is a very good feature as are the twin assist springs... they mean the sight is very solid when in the up position, the later sights with only one assist spring tend to rock a little side-to-side when up.

Aha... easy when you know how, like getting the assist spring, ball bearings and button into the ZKK cocking piece

Both types of peep sights have assist springs with corresponding recess(es) in the receiver and in the underside of the sight body.

With the action held level horizontally in a padded vice, put the springs into position in the receiver, then lower the sight body onto them, (making sure the release button and other parts are correctly oriented) Use fine pointed tweezers if needed to get everything located.

Push downwards and use a pin punch to centre and locate the retaining pin holes... also acts as a guide.

Insert retaining pin and gently tap into receiver using another pin punch... it will gradually drive the other one out. May have to wiggle the sight assembly a little but it all usually goes together in one try... without half a dozen tiny irreplaceable parts being spring-assisted into the farthest darkest corners of your workshop

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
      #192327 - 22/10/11 09:38 PM

Hi Jeff,
I had stumbled on both of these. The .270 would have been good but I prefer the other type of stock and I think its a bit overpriced for a donor (esp. given the stock).
I will however be keeping an on the auction.
Regards
George

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #194719 - 24/11/11 01:51 PM

Looking forward to the finished work!

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: AdamTayler]
      #199210 - 12/01/12 05:34 AM

Does anybody know BRNO 602 barrel threat ? Is it compatible with m98 Mauser?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: Igorrock]
      #199215 - 12/01/12 06:37 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know BRNO 602 barrel threat ? Is it compatible with m98 Mauser?

No it isn't mate.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: FATBOY404]
      #199217 - 12/01/12 07:34 AM

Any chance on some progress photos ?

TilleyMan
.333 member

Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: tophet1]
      #199267 - 12/01/12 07:04 PM

Sure John...

Will take some on the weekend, I'm finally back in Australia after the Ranger launch in Thailand and have some more time for projects at last!

Status is nearly all the metalwork is in the white down to 320 grit, will start on the Talley QD mounts this weekend. Coming up nicely.

Boyd's Classic pepper laminate stock has arrived, will be sent off with the barrelled action for inletting on Monday.

Remember this will be a specific Sambar rifle, and will be used hard on extended Alpine backpacking trips 'behind the gates'. I had a nice piece of fiddleback Qld walnut earmarked for this project but the scrub country is just too hard on quality timber stocks, hence the laminate... one less worry.

Once back from inletting will take the metal down to 400 grit and hot tank blue via Bob De Vries at Kudu Services to match the job he did on my ZKK600 .270 Win.

Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm scope has arrived and will be pretty much perfect for this calibre in low light conditions in Talley QD mounts, backed up by the pop-up peep (which is surprisingly accurate on my .270).

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#199269 - 12/01/12 07:25 PM

Hi Tilleyman,

That sounds like a good combination and look forward to the pictures.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #199279 - 12/01/12 08:53 PM

Good to have you back in country and on-forum again.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #199284 - 12/01/12 10:01 PM

TilleyMan,

That sounds like it is comming along well. Looking forward to the finnished product.

TilleyMan
.333 member

Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: Rule303]
      #199432 - 14/01/12 03:38 PM

Thanks for those kind words guys, it's good to be back

Some update photos...

Receiver will be bead blasted along with the pop-up peep sight parts, so not rubbed back.
The bolt took a LOT of work to get sorted 'someone' had filed off the top surface unevenly to clear a scope, and there was significant galling under the extractor collar
Safety lever still to be done...

A few small rust pits still to remove from the trigger guard, but otherwise looking good:

The image below shows the difference between the M98 extractor and one from a CZ550 that I bought as a spare part to replace the incorrect M98 one fitted. Note the CZ550 extractor is ~5mm longer and is almost exactly the same as a ZKK600 one... good to know if you need a replacement, don't know about the shorter ZKK601, maybe a M98 Kurtz?

Matching 320 abrasive paper on the Tally QD rings

Edited by CptCurl (13/03/12 10:04 PM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#199436 - 14/01/12 04:12 PM

Hi Tilleyman,

Welcome back home, the project is looking good and starting to take shape.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

TilleyMan
.333 member

Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #212761 - 15/07/12 08:09 PM

Righto... the ZKK project is FINALLY complete!

Now I'm as much a fan of fine walnut on a stock as most here on Nitro Express, but this rifle was built to take hard work in its stride hence the Boyd's Pepper laminate stock and non-traditional finishes

Barrelled action back from hot tank blueing by Bob De Vries at Kudu Services (to match my ZKK600 .270)

Stock was stippled using a 3mm Dremel tool, then two pack marine sealer applied.

Wet sanded and then two coats of satin finish marine urethane sprayed on.
Action bedded in Devcon Plastic Steel, with a block just under the fore-end to help stabilise the barrel when using the sling as a support.
Tally crossbolts were blued to match the rest of the rifle, in a laminate stock should be very strong.

Note the correct length extractor installed... CZ550 9.3x62mm spare part has restored the trademark ZKK action smoothness along with a M98 extractor collar. Feeds anything smoothly!

Scope is the now-discontinued 1.8-5.5x38mm Zeiss Conquest... compact, sharp and clear.

I decided to try the Alaska Arms QD mounts at $129.99... very happy with them.

Superbly finished, a quarter turn has the scope off in seconds and it will return to zero.

Need to order the 0.5" height to clear a non-modified ZKK bolt handle and a Euro style quick focus scope ocular.
http://www.alaskaarmsllc.com/

Now... the acid test, how does it shoot?!
Headed off to the range this morning with one box of Highland 286gr factory rounds, one box of Norma 286gr PP factory, and some reloads.
270gr Speer, 286gr Hornady, 286gr Nosler Partition and the 250gr Nosler Accubond all in front of RL-15 powder.

Wind gusting all over the place had my testing shortened a little, I will finish the Noslers next range trip.

Got on paper using the Highlands (Privi in the US) but suffered 4 hangfires out of a box of 20 Normally Highland is reasonably good quality but things seem to have suffered recently!
Only grouped about 2" at 100m.

The Norma 285 PP factory offering was unfortunately very accurate indeed... but at over $70 a box its not really plinking fodder

Speer 270gr in front of 58.0gr RL-15 which shoots into one ragged hole in my Sako AV was not that great in the Brno ZKK. Quite tight groups laterally but pronounced vertical stringing not evident with other loads. I'll check this load again next trip shooting more slowly and ensure the barrel cools off properly.

The Hornady 286gr again in front of 58.0gr RL-15 showed the most promise with three shots almost clover leafing at 100m and a couple of fliers... that I think I pulled when someone next to me fired a 20" barrelled WSM

Anyway... hope you have enjoyed the build, I'm pretty happy with the result.
The real test comes very soon, when I'm backpacking into the Victorian Alps chasing Sambar for a week.
Hopefully I'll blood it on a decent stag

Edited by CptCurl (02/12/12 12:22 AM)

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #212762 - 15/07/12 08:49 PM

Very, very nice job, Tillyman.
The good ones take time, eh.

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project [Re: AFRO408]
      #212763 - 15/07/12 09:25 PM

Good stuff.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 54565

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com