Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel
      #219802 - 19/11/12 09:22 AM

http://www.riflebarrels.com/borescope_hi.asx

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: Ripp]
      #220540 - 29/11/12 07:08 PM

Most Remington 700 rifles shoot well enough. It goes to show that the barrel rifling is not everything with regards to rifle accuracy. A custom barrel maker who has made a few barrels for me, once commented that due to a profound screw up, one of the lands in a barrel he made was straight as an arrow. He chambered the barrel and fired it, just to see what would happen. According to him the thing shot alright. Yet some of his prettiest barrels were not the tack drivers that common belief would suggest. It drives him batty too. I believe that stress relieving has a lot to do with how well a barrel shoots (kinking and unkinking as they heat up and cool down). The purity of the barrel steel also having a pronounced effect on the quality of the barrel.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: albertan]
      #220570 - 30/11/12 01:04 AM

I have had many Remingtons and have to agree --most shoot very well...but, I also have noticed on the ones I have switched out to a Hart or Lilja barrel...the barrels clean much quicker, easier and are generally more accurate than the barrel that was on it...Three of the most accurate rifles I have are a HS Precision and two with Hart barrels on them...they are close to "one holers" at 100yards..once you get the loads right...

Another item I have noticed as far as how quickly barrels clean..is I DO break in a barrel..cleaning it after every shot for the first 10..that seems to make a significant difference later as well in terms of how quickly it cleans ..

Personally, I will always take a custom barrel to a factory.have a .264 that shoots good..but took it in last week to put a new Lilja on it...

Ripp

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #220597 - 30/11/12 04:22 AM

I've owned several Remington's and they all shot well. Right now I have a 700VTR in a .223 that will put 5 into under a 1/2" all day long.
Bob

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: aromakr]
      #222251 - 23/12/12 03:05 PM

Wow! I have several Rem 700s that shoot better than .75 MOA but I am impressed by this video

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

albertan
.333 member

Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: chuck375]
      #222551 - 30/12/12 11:16 AM

I am guessing that the Remington barrel shown was a particularly rough specimen. Remington invented the button rifling process. This type of rifling is generally known to produce smooth bores and clean rifling. It also work hardens the inside surface of the barrel making the the bore more resistant to erosion that the cut rifled barrels that were around when this process was developed by Mike Walker. Anything that I have read suggests that button rifled barrels generally win in 300-600 metre class contests. The cut rifled barrels do better at the more extreme ranges. Every barrel making system can produce diamonds, and sometimes they produce nothing more than a lump of coal.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #222554 - 30/12/12 12:17 PM

A friend once had a .338 Winchester Mag. on a 700BDL. It would shoot no better than 2 1/2" with factory ammo. He sent it to the States, to Remington and they acknowledge it shot 2 1/2 with all makes and weights of factory ammo and that there was nothing wrong with it as their standard was 5". They sent it back and it was stolen during transit, however my friend received the paper work. Did he buy another Remington? Not on your life - never again. He will now own a rifle that does not shoot under an inch and Reminton proved to him, they do not care about quality - that was 20 years ago. He still shoots anything but.

If shooting a factory Remington .17 cal. barrel in comparison to a Lilja or Pac-Nor, you will appreciate the 'extra' work that goes into a truly good barrel and that QUALITY hasn't been maintained in the Remington barrel.

The others are button'd too, but more and proper care seems to be taken when the 'custom' barrels are buttoned and/or lapped. The Pac-Nor will be hand lapped as well - I suspect the Lilja barrels are hand lead-lapped as well.

Remington .17 barrels have been famous for excessive fouling, which can be attributed to their inner finish - in comparison to the others, it was rough as a cob.

Today, there is a possibility that their barrels are of better quality than they used to be - isn't there a possibility this is true today?

There was a time & not too long ago that a .17 Rem had to be scrupulously cleaned every 15 to 25 shots or it would start keyholing the bullets, not just shooting badly.

My first .17 barrel, a CZ at that, albeit a hammer forged barrel, was first a .17Rem at 4,450fps using 20gr. Vmax and Bergers, then a .17AH at 3,925fps with the same 20gr. Vmax, got cleaned after 300rounds and showed just a trace of coppering. Like today with the Pac-Nor, there was/is no loss in accuracy at the time I clean them, I merely figured it was about time they were cleaned - only a trace of coppering and Butches mixed 50:50 with Kroil removed it, which shows it was quite minimal.

My current Pac-Nor .17AH barrel shooting the same bullets at 3,925fps, gets cleaned every 600rounds and shows no coppering, just the powder fouling. It is the same scenario with a friend's Pac-Nor stainless .17 AB running 4,100fps with the same bullet - no coppering.

So - are Rem barrels better nowadays than they used to be? I don't know, but in the small calibres, the differences will show more quickly as the little fast ones are much more difficult to make, and much harder on their .002' deep rifling than the slowpoke larger bores with .004" rifling.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

albertan
.333 member

Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: DarylS]
      #222578 - 30/12/12 06:21 PM

Remington aficionados generally claim that the 1970's were the Golden years in model 700 production. I am sure that even then a few clunkers were produced. As a rule I clean and oil a barrel of a rifle I am looking at purchasing in order to get a good look at the barrel. I have never been told I couldn't do it.

Ripp
.577 member

#222609 - 31/12/12 07:22 AM

Daryl, I actually had a .17 Rem years ago --their "classic version"...and as you stated..was a nightmare to keep clean.. Having said that--all ofthe Remingtons I have had withthe exception of one..and that is out of probably 20 or more..shoot under an inch and in many cases noticeably better than that... have a .270 synthetic..all factory --and with factory loads shoots at 100yds all holes touching..while I am certainthere are always exceptions, I have been lucky I guess with mine asthey do shoot... I do feel Remingtons quality has suffered inthe past couple of decades...butthen so have many others, not that it makes any of this better...Weatherby is a prime example..I have never had one that shot good ever..maybe its justthe models I tried which weretheir lightweight versions..but one would think for 1400-1800the dang thing would shoot an inch or so..and I have now owned 7..bought a lightweight in .240 this fall--pathetic..took it in to have some work done it ..have not had time to shoot it yet... Then inthe early 90's had a friend who sold sporting equipment ..told methe barrels going on Ruger rifles backthen were costing Ruger about $18, per barrel..and based onthe ones I tried . it showed...thinkthey are better now..butthey sucked backthen... Remington is a working mans rifle as are Ruger, Winchester, etc...and in todays world ..with most, you no longer get what you pay for..so going either custom or semi-custom is always a good option.. Life is too short to have a gun you are not happpy with, IMHO.. Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (31/12/12 09:10 AM)

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
      #222795 - 03/01/13 09:34 AM

My 1966 vintage BDL in 270 will still shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards with all bullets cutting the same whole, just not with me shooting it anymore. My groups have opened up to about .75"

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

albertan
.333 member

Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: chuck375]
      #224843 - 06/02/13 07:32 AM

I guess the Remington rifle barrels for conventional rifles are now hammer forged. The Custom Shop rifles are still button rifled and hand lapped. Every Custom Shop Remington I have encountered was a tack driver. I think they represent the best buys in semi-custom rifles. They will out shoot anything in their price range.

I have a Custom Shop Winchester varmiter in .223, that is amazing. The big boys know how to do it, with the exception Of Weatherby. Ripp's tales parallel my own. Never again.

DarylS
.700 member

#224898 - 07/02/13 02:49 AM

I just noticed that I neglected to mention a local friend's .30/06, stainless, laminated p[encil weight bl. Rem 700 .30/06, that will put 5 Fed Fusion 165's into 1/2" as well as the Fed 165 TSX BT's into .6". He doesn't handload so practices with the Fusions and hunts with the TSX's. They strike the same poi to 200 meters. His group with 5 TSX's at 200 meters was 1.5", so it was just about holding the same moa from 100yards. That was impressive.

--------------------
Daryl

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: DarylS]
      #224910 - 07/02/13 07:44 AM

I had an old .303-25 with sections of rifling missing. It shot very well for an old SMLE actioned rifle. 3 shots under 1.5" with everything.

I guess accuracy is like a woman, you don't know what you got till you go for a test drive ....

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Video of factory Rem. barrel compared to Lilja custom barrel [Re: tophet1]
      #224915 - 07/02/13 12:40 PM

I miss hearing about all the weird ctgs. on the .303 brass. I have a .303-270 stamped case in my 'stuff'. The .303-25IMP is a terrific round.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6100

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com