Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting with Grand daughter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Hunting with Grand daughter
      #380956 - 06/12/23 01:43 AM

Last spring, I had to go on a cruise with Wife (Gramma) and two teenage Granddaughters. Don't tell them but I had a good time.

One of the many things we talked about on the cruise was my hunting activities. One was not interested, the other, I'll call her M, expressed interest. M is 14.

I talked to my son about taking M hunting with me. He told me that it is something she had shown an interest in, but they had not found time to go. We formulated a plan.

First, I sent M an email asking if she really wanted to go hunting. I got a quick response, "Yes!"

So, the next step was to get parental permission and set a date. I knew already that it was okay with her dad, but what about Mom. (Dad gave me the okay, but she needed to get the okay from him, herself. ) I sent her the season dates for Youth deer gun, general deer gun and Antlerless deer gun.

I heard back from her, and she opted for deer gun Thanksgiving week. She didn't say anything about talking to her Mom and Dad.
I knew Dad's permission was a forgone conclusion. Mom, well that is something different all together. Mom's not anti-hunting, she has hunted also including one trip to South Africa. She is a strong loving caring mom, but education and school comes first. The obstacle was, would she allow M to miss school to go hunting.

M is aware of mom's strong feeling on missing school and was hesitant to broach the subject. It was finally decide that I would ask for the permission.

I was surprised how quick and positive the response was, :"M..... can miss school to spend time with you, Permission Granted".

Wow, what a splendid response.

Now logistics. I wish there was a nonstop flight from BWI to OKC. I had to find a one stop no plane change for a mature 14-year-old traveling alone. Grampa will be nervous. I got her a flight out Friday November 17 and her home either Friday 11/24 or Saturday 11/25.

I have been informed by my wife and daughter next door that we will attend Thanksgiving dinner and follow the tradition of everyone has to bring a dish. M will help me make sweet potato casserole. To my wife and daughter, I responded in the most intelligent manner-to both I said, "Yes Dear".

I have an older Granddaughter, from my other daughter,who is now in her late 20's and off conquering the world, who has hunted varmints with me, (Montana gophers and rock chucks). But never big game. This hunt would be the first big game hunt with any of my Grands.

I have fished with two my Grandsons , both over 30. The 3rd GSon, doesn't do that sort of stuff. I never hunted with the GSons. Two of them do hunt occasionally with their dads and have taken Mule deer in Montana.

If hunting is to survive, we need to get these kids hunting, and especially the girls. If hunting is to survive women have to be part of the equation.

When my Son and I talked about this hunt idea, he asked about hunter safety certificate. I had checked and apparently in OK as long as I am in the blind with her and physically able to control the gun, she does not need hunter safety. My Son and I both agree no harm can come from her taking a hunter safety course. We are going to make it a Family requirement that she take a hunter safety course. It looks like for OK she can take this on line.

When my late wife passed, I took all her guns to my son, for use of his daughters, my granddaughters. I had cut all these guns down to fit my late wife and her smaller dimensions. The late wife's "deer rifle" is a new model 1964 Winchester Model 70 in .243. I sent my son some snap caps for dry firing,

When M comes to hunt, she will use my new Okie Wife's new Classic Winchester Model 70 in 7mm-08 for hunting. It is also cut down for Okie wife's smaller stature.

I am blessed to have (have had) these two wonderful women in my life and it is fortunate that both picked Model 70's for hunting. I feel blessed that they both will have a part in passing our hunting heritage on to this young woman

So thus started the plan.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: DoubleD]
      #380958 - 06/12/23 01:51 AM

Well, it is time for the wrap this. The hunt is over.

No more M, she is Marion, named after my mother's sister, my Aunt. During the past months Marion went online and passed her Maryland Hunter safety class. She has been practicing dry firing with the snap caps I sent, with her late Grandma Katy's rifle. She also has had a couple of range sessions with Dad. Thanks Son.

Jane and I bought a cheap small travel trailer-hard side small camp trailer more like. The Ranch owner had us park next his barn. Then he proceeded to install a 30 amp electric plug and a trailer drain into the septic tank. There already was a water spigot. What a nice thing to do. During deer season, we will leave the trailer parked by the barn. After deer season we will move the trailer up to the hunting cabins which have no hookups.

We booked Marion a flight from Reagan Airport by DC to OKC-a direct flight. Jane and I picked Marion up at the airport just after 6 PM Friday the 17th of November and we drove straight down to the lease.

On the way down we talked a lot about what was going to happen. I had been watching the camera's and in particular the two blind/feeders I had built. The first feeder is called End of the earth. Initially it was very active, then it cooled off.. Turned out there was another feeder about 400 yards away, up trail from mine. Deer were going there and not always passing on. That stand is called North 400. I hunted End of Earth during early archery and Muzzle loader season. The blind was north west of the feeder. It turned out the deer were also coming into the feeder from the power line and road to the north and west of the blind. When I sat the blind, deer would not come near it. A couple of days before season we moved the blind to the west and across the two track. Deer liked that. In a couple of days the deer started coming back to the feeder. But not like they had.

I built a second stand called Elk Stand. There had been a stand in the area in the past and Elk have been seen passing through.

Does came to this feeder daily, morning and night on a regular basis. Bucks pass through every few days. We have seen big bucks come through this stand.

The prevailing wind around Elk Stand was from the south to the north. The blind is north-north-west of the feeder.

The Hunt plan was to hunt for Bucks until Tuesday, then Tuesday would be any deer day.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday Morning we sat Elk Stand. We did 4 hours in the morning morning and 3 hours in the evning. We saw a lot of does. No Bucks.

This was a first hunt for Marion. Her dad was concerned if she could sit quiet and not get bored.

She did quite well at that. I stuffed her pack with circle word and sudoku puzzle books. In full day light I let her look at her silenced phone. During the entire 4 days of hunting, she always spotted critters before I did. Of course she was positioned in front the open window and I was not.

We were sitting in a Barronnette foresight see-thru blind. I was skeptical of this blind, but I learned to like it. I bought this one unintentionally, but would buy again.

On Monday the 20th of November the weather changed on us-blowing out of the north. I did not want to sit Elk stand in a north wind.

The hottest blind currently on the lease is one we call North 400. There is a steady parade of deer going through that feeder blind as long as no one is sitting on it. For some reason the blind is south-south east upwind of the feeder. I have sat it a few times and seen deer scent me as they were coming and take off. We have a new leaser this year and he put in a tower blind on this stand. I sat it once during muzzleloader season when there was no wind. Typical noisy tower blind place where the ground blind had been before. SSE of the feeder. When we have a north wind the North 400 blind is the place to be.

We checked with the other leasers and no one was hunting the lease at all. We decided because of the wind to hunt this blind.

We also decided to go into the blind early. Sundown was 5:21 pm. Normally for an evening hunt I like to get to the blind about an hour and a half early and sit for two hours. Because we had not been in the blind before, I wanted to go in earlier. This was to arrange furniture to meet our needs. Also Marion had never been in a tower stand before and I wanted her to become familiar with the set up. We parked the Mule about 1/4 mile away and walked into the tower. I checked the time when we got the ladder, it was 3:30 pm.

We climbed the ladder and opened the door. I went in. Marion followed and as she came in the wind caught the door and banged it open--KERBANG! We got in side and noticed the shooting chair was in the wrong position. We opened the window and started to rearrange the chairs, not purposely noisy, but not quiet either. About this time an armadillo started nosing around on the ground right below the tower. Marion whispered, "get me a picture. I started digging around for my phone. We were not being very quiet. Then Marion says, "look Grampa!" and points at a little buck, head down eating corn at the feeder which is 28 yards from us.

I quickly load her rifle-we hadn't done that yet. I hand her the rifle and she sits down and aims in. I whisper to her, "broad side shot only, aim right on the point of the elbow".

The time on this phot0 is 3:40. Remember when we got to the tower, I checked the time and it was straight on 3:30.

The buck fed a bit more but never presented a broadside shot. The deer finally jumped the fence and started moving to our right. I whisper to her, "change windows". She pulled the gun up and and starteds to turn and BANGS the rifle barrel on the window frame. Loud! The little buck walks behind bushes and started walking across the two-track heading for the brush. I grunt and the deer stopped long enough for Marion to shoot.

I saw the bullet impact just above the elbow. The deer went head down, going for the bush. The deer reacted very clearly as a heart shot.

I turned and look at Marion and the expression on her face was priceless. I asked if she was okay and she said it felt like her heart was going to pound out of her chest.

Marion wanted to immediately climb down of out of the blind and go after the deer. I told her no, we need wait and give it time to go down. We packed up our gear and cleared the rifle.

After we got packed and climbed down out of the tower. We can see the deer off in the bushes. When we got on the ground, and Marion started for the deer. I told her no; we have to go over where the deer was when you shot and follow the blood trail. I told her she needs to learn this as she won't always be able to see the deer right off.

We followed the trail around and she learned what a blood trail looks like and how to find her deer.

Although it appeared the deer was dead, I told her, she still must poke it and make sure it is dead. I made sure she understood to poke in the rear. I explained poking it in the eye is sure fire way to get hurt if the animal is still alive as most animals have all their sharp, pointy, stabbing, biting and clawing parts in front.

After that came the glamour pictures with Grampa.

Then came the last lesson. I gave her a custom made Mike Miller hunting knife for a successful harvest , so she could field dress her deer.

I am not sure who was more excited about her success, her or me.

She used Gramma Janes new classic model 70 Winchester in 7mm-08. Scope is Leupold VX2 4-12, set a 4X. Ammo is Winchester 140 grain extreme point.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #380961 - 06/12/23 03:40 AM

Cool, great and exciting hunting story Gramps.
I've fished with my grand nephew, and shot indoor air rifles with my granddaughter, but have hunted with neither.
7mm08 - good deer calibre.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: DarylS]
      #380974 - 06/12/23 06:48 AM

Well done young lass!
Bet grandpop was pretty chuffed as well!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: 93x64mm]
      #380975 - 06/12/23 08:11 AM

Well done to both of you. Hope to take my grand kids out in a few years.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: Rule303]
      #380980 - 06/12/23 01:00 PM

Marvelous stuff DD!
Really great to see the wide grin(s)!! :

I've not long to wait myself, oldest grandson is already seven.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: Marrakai]
      #380997 - 07/12/23 02:54 AM

DD, What a great story. I know that Marion will remember this hunt with her Grandpa for the rest of her life and will tell her grandchildren about the time that her Grandpa took her huntiung, and she killed a nice buck. Very well done.

--------------------
RB

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: 85lc]
      #381019 - 08/12/23 12:07 AM

Quote:

DD, What a great story. I know that Marion will remember this hunt with her Grandpa for the rest of her life and will tell her grandchildren about the time that her Grandpa took her huntiung, and she killed a nice buck. Very well done.

We had just exactly this conversation in the deer blind. I made her promise that she would do just that,

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #381026 - 08/12/23 05:01 AM

Well done Grandpa. Marion will surely remember her first buck hunt. Nice big smiles.

I remember times with my father. When very young, sheltering in an Aboriginal burn out tree house from heavy rain. Other timex shooting birds. Digging out the rabbit burrows on our arid land sheep property. Dad wasn't a hunter. I didn't know my grandfather who hunted a bit. The other was an old grumpy man who didn't speak English.

Good to get the rest of those kids and grandkids out hunting.

I have a niece of my wife who might be interested in visiting the farm. Not sure about any shooting or hunting.

Kids today, what's wrong with them.

Great grandchild you have with Marion. Hopefully Maid Marion continues to love the forest!

The knife is a nice gift. I remember a young girl at EricD's moose camp in Norway, Lena I think, she had her belt sheath knife,and I was impressed at how she joined in skinning the elg/moose with everyone else.

Thanks for the story and photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: Marrakai]
      #381027 - 08/12/23 05:03 AM

Quote:

Marvelous stuff DD!
Really great to see the wide grin(s)!! :

I've not long to wait myself, oldest grandson is already seven.

What's the plan, .450/400 for full sized buffalo bull?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Hunting with Grand daughter [Re: NitroX]
      #381360 - 19/12/23 01:15 AM

Marion's little deer produced 40 lbs of summer sausage and snack sticks.

Only a grand father would pays $130 to ship it half way across the country 1300 miles, to his precious granddaughter.

European mount to come.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381383 - 19/12/23 01:56 PM

Good man.

She'll especially enjoy it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com