Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
One more "What would you use for ...with a twist.
      #162474 - 21/06/10 09:21 AM

I'm off to South Africa Aug. 2. There's a large Tom leopard feeding on local meat up near the Limpopo river, and the outfitter asked me if I wanted to take it. I of course said yes.

Now, here's the interesting part - I'm not taking a rifle. My main artillery will be a 6.5 inch bbl Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum with Hornady 500-gr. soft point ammo. Optics will be a red dot.

The PH called me last week, said he can hold the cat for a while, consequently I've been running like crazy to get ready.

Why so fast? Well, this is a chance to hunt with my revolver which I dearly love to do. I plan on taking other animals like bait animals, bushbuck, warthog and possibly a kudu - all with the S&W.

Here's the question ...

What handgun would you take to Africa if you couldn't take a rifle? Bolt action, 16-inch bbl, single-shot, hand-operated rifles don't count. Got to be a handgun caliber. No one-off .600 Nitro single shot either.

What do you think of my choice? I could take a .44, or a .454, or ... Let's say I have lots of choices, but picked the 500.

And, yes, I can shoot it. Minute of orange at 50 yards off sticks.

I'll be back around Aug. 22. The story should appear in "Dangerous Game Hunting Magazine" within 6 months.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. [Re: poprivit]
      #162475 - 21/06/10 09:30 AM

All the very best to you in your quest! I look forward to reading about it in that excellent magazine.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #162476 - 21/06/10 10:00 AM

Does the 500 grain Hornady soft point open up quick enough? That would be my main concern.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #162479 - 21/06/10 11:43 AM

Hell Yes!

I'd take my PC Hunter on that trip in a hot second.
To answer Mike's question, I'd just call hornady (ask for a few boxes of ammunition while I was at it...) then follow-up on whatever targets of opportunity the desert would provide.
Should be a few cougar in the neighborhood to test the load on...

Have fun with that thing FancyPants!
You're welcome to drag that little revolver up here whenever you need target practice while on the road to Reno!
Drop the WR off at my place for some 'exercise' while you're out in Dark Country...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. [Re: tinker]
      #162485 - 21/06/10 04:25 PM

Very interesting he just happens to have a leopard and permit laying around and I suggest you tread very carefully because the permitting system doesn't work that way at all.

I strongly suggest you contact PHASA at www.phasa.co.za ASAP and ask them if the offer can be kosher.

If it is kosher, (technically) you're supposed to get your import licence before you shoot the cat so it'd be a good idea to get the ball rolling on that also.

Also remember that if it isn't kosher and you do hunt for it, let alone take it, you'd be breaking SA game laws which in turn means you'll also be in breach of the (US) Lacey Act and penalties for that are extremely dire.

Feel free to PM me if you need further info and/or prefer to discuss this privately.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (21/06/10 05:14 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #162514 - 21/06/10 11:39 PM

poprivit,

Good luck on your hunt and hope it works out for you.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. [Re: NitroX]
      #162529 - 22/06/10 05:13 AM

Steve, The prior hunter backed out. The license supposedly is valid. The outfitter who set this up is fairly well known, Greg Rodriquez, www.mbogo.net, so all should be good. I WILL check very closely in the next week, thanks.

Tinker, a cougar/mt. lion hunt in Nevada is $4k and all my money is going to the African hunt.
No - you can't play with the WR. I actually haven't sold it! I'll probably keep it. I've been blowing up Las Vegas dirt with the 500 on a regular basis - so far, so good. How,'s life in Northern Nevada desert? Little different from SFO region?

mikeh416rigby - I took a giraffe in 2006 with it. One shot in the second vertebrae and a hole in the back of the neck that a golf ball would fall through. Even if it doesn't open on a soft skin cat, it's basic .50 diameter should work. Although, I'm thinking of using a 350-gr. hollowpoint.

Opinion?

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #162530 - 22/06/10 05:40 AM

I'm not 100% sure of the Limpopo arrangements because they're recently changed or changing but I think you'll find that if the original hunter backed out then the licence is supposed to be sent back to the game dept who then pass it onto whoever came out next in the draw.... in other words a use it or lose it deal.

I'd strongly recommend you check it out with PHASA and also ask to be sent a copy of the permit with your name on it though just to be sure.

I don't know Greg from a bar of soap and I'm not for a moment suggesting he's trying to do something he shouldn't but you need to bear in mind, he's an agent and not an outfitter and in all honesty, there's no reason he would know all the nuances of the game laws for each and every province/country he sells hunting in.

All I'm trying to say is I'd advise you check the legalities before beforehand.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2560

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com