Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Few of My Favorite Things

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
A Few of My Favorite Things
      #3096 - 01/06/03 03:14 PM

Here are a few things that have been with me most of the places around the globe that I have been, Orvis wingshooting jacket from 1987, L.L. Bean wool crusher hat, Swarovski 8X30 SLC binoculars, 1967 Nikkormat Ftn w/ a vintage Nikkor 35mm F1.4, bamboo flyrod from my grandfather made in 1939 with an equally ancient Pflueger Medalist reel.

Not shown are a pair of omnipresent Danner boots, which I am trying desperately to convince the other half that I need a new pair since my current pair are actively seeking retirement, I am well on the way since, she has 2 pair of her own which she says, she would choose over me if it came to the wire.

Most of my prized possesions are older than I am, stuff that has a history and you could spend a fascinating evening with around the campfire if they could tell of the adventures they had seen in their extended lives.

I sorely miss my library of hunting, fishing, and outdoors books, since moving here to Sydney. Those days that life dictates that you cannot be afield can be compensated for by evening spent with a good book, a scotch and a fire, unfortunately, life has not allowed many oppurtunities for either lately.

Anyone else have prized possesions that they drag with them around the world for comfort or good luck?

Lynn Miller

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: A Few of My Favorite Things [Re: Miller]
      #3122 - 02/06/03 05:38 AM

Miller look for "Hepworth " boots in Sydney--cheap in real money and are great value and a good all round boot for what you want.Yep i have treasures too and will have to scan some shortly.I want those Swara`s

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Re: A Few of My Favorite Things [Re: gryphon]
      #3135 - 02/06/03 06:48 PM

Gryphon,

The Swarovski's are great, absolutely crystal clear and very contrasty. But if I were to do it all over again I would buy Leica, they are just out of this world.

For binocolars and spotting scopes, you can not get better than the Europeans, Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss.

For scopes, the European scopes are brilliant in the optical department, but their reticle adjustment systems and warranty service come in second to the American makes, Leupold is legendary for their no questions asked warranty service. Burris is optically and mechnically in a class of their own, especially their Signature Series.

No, you cannot have my Swara's but I let you borrow them if we go sambar hunting(hint, hint)

Lynn

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #3142 - 03/06/03 05:38 AM

Hey Miller the "tyranny of Distance" is the only thing stopping us from having such a hunt.
Re: bino`s i have only hunted sambar using bino`s about 3 times ever in my life,now that my eyes are not so good i should and will carry a small pair on future hunts.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #3143 - 03/06/03 05:39 AM

Miller,

A number of years ago, an old gentleman passed away and his widow sold some of his kit. One item was an original Parker Brothers 12ga.(1923). I offered her quite a bit of money and she declined and offered it to me at a very low price. She stated that it wasn't the money she was interested in, it was the history of the piece and her desire that it go to someone that shared her late husband's enthusiasm for the hunt. She told me that it had better be a shooter and not put on display as an object. To this day, I take it to the pond on the back of my property and shoot teal with it in the Fall. When I was a child, I had an Aunt(she's 85 now) that told me she would buy me anything I wanted as long as it was a book. I share your passion for books. Among my favorites are a pair of Jim Corbett's "Maneaters of Kumaon," one is a 1944 first Indian edition, the other, a 1946 American first edition. My favorite book is a first edition of Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy." I've got some good ones. Favorite hat: 17 year old Filson Packer-it comes when it's called. Favorite glass: Leica 8x50s; had them a couple of months and will never use anything else. Before the Leicas, Zeiss, also very good. The campfire is always the end to a day. All days in the bush are good, some just better than others, but the fire always makes the day. Scotch? Never could acquire that taste, but a little Booker Noe Single Barrel suits me fine.

Great post guy................I'll think about this all day now, until the tide tonight, about 6:00P, and then I'll enjoy a few hours of King Salmon fishing on the lower Anchor River..........it's that time of year.

Here's to you,

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

eldeguello
.224 member

Reged: 04/07/03
Loc: Madison County, NY & Franklin ...
      #3601 - 05/07/03 04:19 AM

Great stuff! Cool photo. Brings back many memories of using very similar stuff....

--------------------
"If you are 21 and not a liberal, you have no heart. if you are 40 and not a conservative, you have no brain!!" W. Churchill

"The inmates are still running the asylum!!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com