Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Kappa
.224 member

Reged: 23/08/13
Loc: USA
Single shot + shotgun vs drilling.
      #237035 - 24/10/13 09:57 AM

Hello all,

First post here. However, I have been lurking these forums for about 6 months now.

I’ve sold off all of my firearms primarily because I want to get down to 2-3 “higher quality” yet functional firearms. I pretty much hunt exclusively for meat (not that I am above population control) and I have for a long time wanted to get into a really nice single shot stalking rifle in the Kipplauf tradition. I’ve settled on either 6.5x57R or 7x57R shooting long heavy bullets with high SD. I would use this for 80% of my big game needs (open prairie, alpine terrain, foothills, etc.).

My other firearm will be a 16 gauge side-by-side shotgun. This will be my bird and small game gun.

The reason for this post, however, is that I am wondering if I need a 3rd firearm that will be used exclusively for close quarters/heavy bush terrain with shots less than 100 yards. This will be for driven wild boar, bison, bear and northern moose thus quick follow up shots are crucial. I am debating between two options, which I am hoping the fine folks here could provide their own insights and advice regarding my decision.

1) I acquire a single shot break action, a double barrel shotgun plus a 45-70 lever action for the latter style of hunting
2) I acquire a single shot break action and a double barrel shotgun and use brenneke smoothbore slugs in the shotgun for close quarter/bush gun when needed

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Edited by Kappa (25/10/13 06:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Kappa]
      #237038 - 24/10/13 10:50 AM

Welcome Kappa
I once decided to sell off mine and have 2-3 higher end guns and ended up with way more than I started with, plus the originals. I still like the idea of 1 or 2 to hunt with always but I love hunting with all the guns I own. As long as you enjoy them the more the better.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Claydog]
      #237063 - 25/10/13 02:30 AM

My suggestion would be for a O/U 16 and 7x65R for light game - then a .375 bolt gun - as-in a .375 Ruger chambering for 'heavy' work. While a lever gun will do the heavy game job, so will the bolt gun and teh bolt gun perhaps even better as it will fill all rifle roles depending on how it's loaded. .375's have a habit of putting all bullet weights quite close together. Many of them need no sight correction when changing bullet weights for different game. Mine is no different.

You should have a good .22 - an Anschutz would do quite nicely.

There down to 3 guns & includes a plinker.

Local friend here has a Merkle O/U, 16 bore and 7x65R that will make the first 3 touch at 100 meters. It has one of those huge Zeiss scopes with pointed telephone pole crosshairs, but he does shoot it VERY accurately (which I find quite amazing). The proper sized aiming point helps of course.

At 25 yards, the 16 bore tube puts 3 Brenneke's into a 2" group (C to C), only 2" low and centered - easily mastered for a close 'coup-d-grass'.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Claydog]
      #237064 - 25/10/13 04:19 AM

good luck with your plan

8 years ago I had similar intentions and sold all sins of my youth. found the idea of only one bolt action and a double gun very clever.
it did not happen for me and I have now more guns than ever but maybe you have a better fate.

btw, with a good drilling you have the one and only

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Kappa
.224 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: lancaster]
      #237070 - 25/10/13 06:39 AM

Thanks guys. I do have a good .22 LR already and I will be keeping it.

The only problem with an over under combination gun is I do a lot of upland bird hunting and a side by side double is a necessity for me.

I guess what I am ultimately trying to figure out is whether or not I need a 3rd gun for a certain style of hunting when I could just as well use a SxS shotgun with Brenneke slugs, no?

I know in Europe prior to the 1980s Brenneke slugs were the mainstay for boar, bear and european bison.

I am going to forgo the idea of a drilling at this time because I simply don't have enough experience with them. They seem like a great idea for camp or for mixed bag hunts though...

So the question goes: should I just use a SxS with Brenneke slugs for close quarter/driven hunts (boar, moose, odd bear) or should I get something else entirely?

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
      #237081 - 25/10/13 11:16 AM

Welcome Kappa.
Let me preface this with - If someone asks me for advice, I don't tell them everything that's wrong.

I am also a sxs person and given the choice I doubt that I would want anything else. That being said, trying to find one that even reasonably regulates both barrels with slugs is chance at best.

There are quite a few sxs out now that are set up specifically for this and they are typically upward of a lb heavier than they should be in most cases. Good to use like a rifle, lousy for bird shooting.

If you wanted to go by way of an OU the options are certainly greater because there are many available with an extra set of barrels.
A nice European rig with both barrels (probably in 16ga) sounds good.
Winchester made theirs in a number of dr and combo chamberings including 7x57 and 7x64.
Although I am not a tremendous fan, the Valmet can cover all bases and can be found with double triggers in an endless variety of combinations and they are a workhorse.
Had a BRNO 301 which was ok as a shotgun (fxf) and a rifle (slugs and 7x57r) - but just ok. Sat in the hands like a brick and it was gone after a few years.

Another option is to have a sxs regulated for slugs, which would also let you use it as a bird gun without loosing its effectiveness. While you are at it, have a second set of barrels put together in something large enough to cover the game you are interested in. (look into the gunsmithing forums)
Although it isn't factory, it would also be cheaper than another higher end piece in the rack.

Mind you I have never hunted anything that could eat me, so the comments above regarding the bolt action 375 or the lever 45-70 could be far more appropriate to your situation.

The single shot is up to you. Nothing better than a light stalking rifle when still hunting whitetails (and I am sure any other ungulates).

Drillings can be tough, as can cape guns due to the way they are balanced, but they do have a certain cool factor.
If I make it out for Sika this year, you can guarantee that with a 6.5 or 7mm and 2 loads of oo buck, range will not be an issue.

Good luck with your decisions, but don't be surprised if you end up with more guns than you already have (and you join the ranks of a number of others posting to or reading this)

Cheers

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Kappa
.224 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Tom_H]
      #237086 - 25/10/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Welcome Kappa.
Let me preface this with - If someone asks me for advice, I don't tell them everything that's wrong.

I am also a sxs person and given the choice I doubt that I would want anything else. That being said, trying to find one that even reasonably regulates both barrels with slugs is chance at best.

There are quite a few sxs out now that are set up specifically for this and they are typically upward of a lb heavier than they should be in most cases. Good to use like a rifle, lousy for bird shooting.

If you wanted to go by way of an OU the options are certainly greater because there are many available with an extra set of barrels.
A nice European rig with both barrels (probably in 16ga) sounds good.
Winchester made theirs in a number of dr and combo chamberings including 7x57 and 7x64.
Although I am not a tremendous fan, the Valmet can cover all bases and can be found with double triggers in an endless variety of combinations and they are a workhorse.
Had a BRNO 301 which was ok as a shotgun (fxf) and a rifle (slugs and 7x57r) - but just ok. Sat in the hands like a brick and it was gone after a few years.

Another option is to have a sxs regulated for slugs, which would also let you use it as a bird gun without loosing its effectiveness. While you are at it, have a second set of barrels put together in something large enough to cover the game you are interested in. (look into the gunsmithing forums)
Although it isn't factory, it would also be cheaper than another higher end piece in the rack.

Mind you I have never hunted anything that could eat me, so the comments above regarding the bolt action 375 or the lever 45-70 could be far more appropriate to your situation.

The single shot is up to you. Nothing better than a light stalking rifle when still hunting whitetails (and I am sure any other ungulates).

Drillings can be tough, as can cape guns due to the way they are balanced, but they do have a certain cool factor.
If I make it out for Sika this year, you can guarantee that with a 6.5 or 7mm and 2 loads of oo buck, range will not be an issue.

Good luck with your decisions, but don't be surprised if you end up with more guns than you already have (and you join the ranks of a number of others posting to or reading this)

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for the great advice Tom. I understand what you are saying regarding having a SxS regulated for slugs, but would this affect its performance with birdshot? And how much would something like this cost?

I simply do not like the aesthetic or handling characteristics of over/under shotguns.

Also, I don't hunt dangerous game. The worst would be wild boar or rutting moose in close proximity, but even then. I only included bison and bear in there for good measure. While I appreciate the earlier suggestion of a bolt action .375 I think this would be overkill for my needs and possibly to long/heavy for a bush gun.

With that said, I figured for close range/bush type shooting under 75 yards (provided I had the barrels regulated and this didn't affect the birdshot performance) I could utilize a smoothbore shotgun with Brenneke slugs.

I live in Western Canada and I fly fish in very isolated bear dense areas. I'm not one of those paranoid individuals who thinks every bear is out to eat me and only a .600 nitro express will do...

Nonetheless, I would like a good "camp gun" that I can sling around my back when fly fishing (I've had bears hang around, but never become aggressive--I always carry bear spray). I figured slugs in a SxS shotgun would be nice and handy. The other option is to just get an older Marlin 1895 lever gun in 45-70. The advantage of this would of course be larger shot capacity and better range, and while I have no doubt that a 16 gauge slug would be adequate for moose, bear and boar, maybe a workhorse 45-70 would be less hassle and less compromise? And maybe less money...

Regardless, a single shot in 6.5x57 or 7x57 is on the menu, as is a SxS in 16 gauge. This will cover 90% of my game needs and situations. I am also holding on to my .22 LR because everybody should have one.

I'm not at all opposed to another firearm if it makes practical sense (incl. financial).

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #237090 - 25/10/13 05:16 PM

I like your way of thinking. I have considered the same several times myself. I do most of my shooting with a Paradox gun, and most of what is left over with a .300H&H single shot rifle. My problem is that it is difficult for me let go of other firearms I have -- but I'm working on it.

A single shot as you describe, 6.5x57R or 7x57R for "open prairie, alpine terrain, foothills, etc." sounds great. I wonder, though what the availability of 6.5x57R and 7x57R ammunition is in Canada. If 7x65R is more readily available you might consider that choice.

You suggest a shotgun for birds and small game and then describe a need for a third, heavier gun for "close quarters/heavy bush terrain with shots less than 100 yards". Instead, I would like to suggest a 12 gauge Paradox ball and shot gun to meet both needs.

A 12 gauge Paradox makes an excellent shotgun and can be used for every task you would choose a SxS game gun for. Additionally, the Paradox gun shoots Paradox bullets suitable for any North American big game you are likely to encounter within 100 yards. It shoots a .735 caliber bullet of 740 grains and it is devastating. All you do is insert Paradox cartridges and flip up a rifle sight. Or, flip the rifle sight back down and insert shotgun cartridges. One great advantage of using a Paradox gun is that your shotgun is your big bore rife and your big bore rifle is your shotgun. It carries, handles, and comes up on target the same with standard shotshells as it does with Paradox cartridges. As a result, it is very easy to become adept bringing it to bear on both moving and stationary targets. With a Paradox gun and a single shot rifle you can meet the needs you describe with only two firearms instead of three.

--------------------
~

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #237091 - 25/10/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

I know in Europe prior to the 1980s Brenneke slugs were the mainstay for boar, bear and european bison.

So the question goes: should I just use a SxS with Brenneke slugs for close quarter/driven hunts (boar, moose, odd bear) or should I get something else entirely?

Kappa,

let me put a question mark here. Where did you get that information?
Slugs were often used for hunting "behind the iron curtain", simply because most hunters there were not allowed to own a rifle. This was not a matter of preference! The hunters knew the limits in range and penetration, and the use of tracking dogs was common. Bear or bison? E.g. it is told that bears in Romania were reserved to be shot by the dictator Ceausescu, and I bet the farm that this guy had a rifle.

If you go to Germany, Scandinavia, Britain, this is "rifle country". Hunters there will consider slugs on big game for an emergency or backup, but will normally prefer a rifle.

Regards,
fuhrmann

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #237092 - 25/10/13 05:19 PM

I have never understood that "bear spray" lark. Whats the range ? 14" If said bear is that close I would be worried with a .375 in my hands (though hopefully if I had that gun he wouldn´t have made it so close), best, Mike

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #237093 - 25/10/13 05:21 PM

+1 for Grenadier IMO

Kappa
.224 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: fuhrmann]
      #237095 - 25/10/13 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kappa,

let me put a question mark here. Where did you get that information?
Slugs were often used for hunting "behind the iron curtain", simply because most hunters there were not allowed to own a rifle. This was not a matter of preference! The hunters knew the limits in range and penetration, and the use of tracking dogs was common. Bear or bison? E.g. it is told that bears in Romania were reserved to be shot by the dictator Ceausescu, and I bet the farm that this guy had a rifle.

If you go to Germany, Scandinavia, Britain, this is "rifle country". Hunters there will consider slugs on big game for an emergency or backup, but will normally prefer a rifle.

Regards,
fuhrmann

From reading various historical texts dealing primarily with the [battue] hunting traditions of France, Austria and Germany. I have also talked to hunters in Poland and Germany and my impressions were that rifles are the preferred choice for most types of hunting and shotguns of either the SxS or drilling variety with slugs are still common for driven hunts. If you read my original post, I state explicitly that I am considering slugs for a very limited (I.e. close range/driven) type of hunting.

Re. Count Széchenyi, it was not uncommon for the nobility to have a monopoly on Central Europe's hunting grounds. Whether the hunting parties used shotguns or rifles is mere speculation, but I would wager that both were used.

Battue calibers for the most part of the 20th century seemed to be heavily dominated by drilling/shotguns. However, that may not be the case today.

Kappa
.224 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #237096 - 25/10/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

+1 for Grenadier IMO

Hi Mike,

Bear spray's effective range is about 6-8 metres. I've seen it's effectiveness in person and I have also seen footage of a sub 800 pound grizzly sow with cubs full charge turn dead in its tracks after being blasted with it in the face. It's been heavily documeted and studied by at least two well respected universities that its effectiveness is high and with its wide dispersion pattern a better solution than a firearm for 99% of people. It does work, but there are those rare exceptions. In those studies I read there was an instance where the bear was actively stalking some hikers and even though the bear took off after being sprayed once, it returned again. This rarely happens yet I feel better with a gun .

Kappa
.224 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Grenadier]
      #237097 - 25/10/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

I like your way of thinking. I have considered the same several times myself. I do most of my shooting with a Paradox gun, and most of what is left over with a .300H&H single shot rifle. My problem is that it is difficult for me let go of other firearms I have -- but I'm working on it.

A single shot as you describe, 6.5x57R or 7x57R for "open prairie, alpine terrain, foothills, etc." sounds great. I wonder, though what the availability of 6.5x57R and 7x57R ammunition is in Canada. If 7x65R is more readily available you might consider that choice.

You suggest a shotgun for birds and small game and then describe a need for a third, heavier gun for "close quarters/heavy bush terrain with shots less than 100 yards". Instead, I would like to suggest a 12 gauge Paradox ball and shot gun to meet both needs.

A 12 gauge Paradox makes an excellent shotgun and can be used for every task you would choose a SxS game gun for. Additionally, the Paradox gun shoots Paradox bullets suitable for any North American big game you are likely to encounter within 100 yards. It shoots a .735 caliber bullet of 740 grains and it is devastating. All you do is insert Paradox cartridges and flip up a rifle sight. Or, flip the rifle sight back down and insert shotgun cartridges. One great advantage of using a Paradox gun is that your shotgun is your big bore rife and your big bore rifle is your shotgun. It carries, handles, and comes up on target the same with standard shotshells as it does with Paradox cartridges. As a result, it is very easy to become adept bringing it to bear on both moving and stationary targets. With a Paradox gun and a single shot rifle you can meet the needs you describe with only two firearms instead of three.

Thanks for the contribution. Part of the reason for wanting to get down to 2-3 primary hunting firearms was despite having owned 20+ guns, I always used the same 2 firearms for most of my needs. The bonus now is all the money I racked up on all of those mid level guns can now be put towards something special.

I will definitely look into a paradox gun as an alternative. Regarding ammunition for either the 6x57R or 7x57R, while you can sometimes find the latter in certain stores, they both are mostly special order. However, I will be loading my own rounds and my rifle's barrel will be optimized for heavy bullets.

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #237103 - 25/10/13 10:43 PM

I grew up in Northern Alberta and I can understand your desires. I did the same myself a few years after college, sold off everything and bought a Ruger #1 custom in 35 Whelen, a SxS 12g Winchester Model 21 and kept a custom 356 Winchester model 94.

Since then I've allowed a fair a fair few arms into my gun safes, but the idea,appealed to me at the time.

What about a working 9.3x74r SxS double with a set of 20g barrels? For bear, boar or moose in heavy cover I can't think of a better tool.

On order is a Chapuis SxS three barrel set, 9.3x74r + 7.65r + 20g = one rifle for everything but elephant?

Chapuis, Sabatti, or the VC (over and under) are all reasonably priced. There is a guy in Ontario that stocks quite a few doubles. The shop is called TradeX I think.

Good luck.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: Rell]
      #237110 - 26/10/13 03:27 AM

If you've hunted much with a side by side or O/U shotgun on upland birds, I doubt very seriously that you would like carrying and shooting them with a Drilling.

At close ranges normally associated with bear defense, a 12 bore loaded with solid slugs (not Foster) or round balls will give you MUCH more power and stopping potential than any small bore rifle - including a .375.

There is NO factory slug available that I would trust for protection from grizzly attack. For that purpose, a solid round ball or bullet as in Ed Huble's "Alliant Steel" 12 bore loads would be my choice - from a rifled barrel. For that purpose, I picked up a pound of Alliant Steel" yesterday. A 12 bore rifle, properly loaded and sighted is a fearsome weapon indeed and is not relegated to bear-spray ranges. Indeed, it is a powerful hunting rifle should be sighted for that purpose.

You want bullet stability for straight line penetration and a smooth bore shotgun may not give that straight penetration. The rifled bore will probably give poor performance with shot - so is only for bullets or round balls for defense and/or hunting.

--------------------
Daryl

Kappa
.224 member

Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. [Re: DarylS]
      #237113 - 26/10/13 04:01 AM

Thanks Daryl and Rell.

Thinking about it a little more, I think it would make the most practical sense to just get a 3rd rifle.

I was thinking about past experiences hunting in the north country for moose and deer and often times game is spotted in cutlines or in man made clearings. Rarely are shots over 125 yards taken with most being around 25-50 yards in my experience. However, there have been those occasions where a medium range 100-150 yard shot needs to be taken off hand before the animal disappears in the wood patch.

So i'm thinking a 3rd rifle really is the better option due to its versatility. I'm sure Brenneke slugs would be fine under 75 yards, but that won't cover all my situations. Furthermore, the cost/hassle of having the barrels regulated might be too much.

The options on the table, then, are either a 45-70 lever gun or a 9.3x74R double rifle--obviously in two different price classes.

I've never owned a double rifle before, nor have I shot one in 9.3x74R caliber. I'm very curious though.

DarylS
.700 member

#237169 - 27/10/13 03:57 AM

9.3x62 is a VERY good alternative - check out tradeexcanada for a 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 - Husky models 46, 47, 146 or 246. They call them model 96's, Sporting Rifles and M98's.

Handloaded the M96's will drive a 270gr. Speer at 2,300fps, 232gr. at 2,450fps and 286's at 2,200fps.

These ballistics will handle any North American Game and much of Africa.

The 9.3x62s factory ammo suffices as it is a mild improvement over these ballistics, ie: 2,340fps with a 286gr. and 2,600fps with 232's.

A M98 (M246?) in 9.3x57 will duplicate these factory 9.3x62 loads which are actually at the 1925 level ballistics.

If you don't handload, a 9.3x62 will do everything for you, from deer to grizzlies, merely using factory ammo.

A double - SXS or U/U in 9.3x74R pretty much duplicates the 9.3x62's old bolt action ballistics.

--------------------
Daryl

CZ_hunter
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/13
Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
      #237299 - 31/10/13 08:00 AM

As Rell, I would go with light rifle in 7x57 (or single shot in 7x57R) and double rifle in the classic caliber 375H&H Flanged with a barrel set of 12 gauge.
This combination should cover all hunting situations in US or Canada.

CZ

--------------------
CZ

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com