Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Kappa
.224 member

Reged: 23/08/13
Loc: USA
Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling.
      25/10/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Welcome Kappa.
Let me preface this with - If someone asks me for advice, I don't tell them everything that's wrong.

I am also a sxs person and given the choice I doubt that I would want anything else. That being said, trying to find one that even reasonably regulates both barrels with slugs is chance at best.

There are quite a few sxs out now that are set up specifically for this and they are typically upward of a lb heavier than they should be in most cases. Good to use like a rifle, lousy for bird shooting.

If you wanted to go by way of an OU the options are certainly greater because there are many available with an extra set of barrels.
A nice European rig with both barrels (probably in 16ga) sounds good.
Winchester made theirs in a number of dr and combo chamberings including 7x57 and 7x64.
Although I am not a tremendous fan, the Valmet can cover all bases and can be found with double triggers in an endless variety of combinations and they are a workhorse.
Had a BRNO 301 which was ok as a shotgun (fxf) and a rifle (slugs and 7x57r) - but just ok. Sat in the hands like a brick and it was gone after a few years.

Another option is to have a sxs regulated for slugs, which would also let you use it as a bird gun without loosing its effectiveness. While you are at it, have a second set of barrels put together in something large enough to cover the game you are interested in. (look into the gunsmithing forums)
Although it isn't factory, it would also be cheaper than another higher end piece in the rack.

Mind you I have never hunted anything that could eat me, so the comments above regarding the bolt action 375 or the lever 45-70 could be far more appropriate to your situation.

The single shot is up to you. Nothing better than a light stalking rifle when still hunting whitetails (and I am sure any other ungulates).

Drillings can be tough, as can cape guns due to the way they are balanced, but they do have a certain cool factor.
If I make it out for Sika this year, you can guarantee that with a 6.5 or 7mm and 2 loads of oo buck, range will not be an issue.

Good luck with your decisions, but don't be surprised if you end up with more guns than you already have (and you join the ranks of a number of others posting to or reading this)

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for the great advice Tom. I understand what you are saying regarding having a SxS regulated for slugs, but would this affect its performance with birdshot? And how much would something like this cost?

I simply do not like the aesthetic or handling characteristics of over/under shotguns.

Also, I don't hunt dangerous game. The worst would be wild boar or rutting moose in close proximity, but even then. I only included bison and bear in there for good measure. While I appreciate the earlier suggestion of a bolt action .375 I think this would be overkill for my needs and possibly to long/heavy for a bush gun.

With that said, I figured for close range/bush type shooting under 75 yards (provided I had the barrels regulated and this didn't affect the birdshot performance) I could utilize a smoothbore shotgun with Brenneke slugs.

I live in Western Canada and I fly fish in very isolated bear dense areas. I'm not one of those paranoid individuals who thinks every bear is out to eat me and only a .600 nitro express will do...

Nonetheless, I would like a good "camp gun" that I can sling around my back when fly fishing (I've had bears hang around, but never become aggressive--I always carry bear spray). I figured slugs in a SxS shotgun would be nice and handy. The other option is to just get an older Marlin 1895 lever gun in 45-70. The advantage of this would of course be larger shot capacity and better range, and while I have no doubt that a 16 gauge slug would be adequate for moose, bear and boar, maybe a workhorse 45-70 would be less hassle and less compromise? And maybe less money...

Regardless, a single shot in 6.5x57 or 7x57 is on the menu, as is a SxS in 16 gauge. This will cover 90% of my game needs and situations. I am also holding on to my .22 LR because everybody should have one.

I'm not at all opposed to another firearm if it makes practical sense (incl. financial).

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa 24/10/13 09:57 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. CZ_hunter   31/10/13 08:00 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Grenadier   25/10/13 05:16 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa   25/10/13 06:39 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Rell   25/10/13 10:43 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. DarylS   26/10/13 03:27 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa   26/10/13 04:01 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. DarylS   27/10/13 03:57 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Claydog   24/10/13 10:50 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. lancaster   25/10/13 04:19 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa   25/10/13 06:39 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. fuhrmann   25/10/13 05:16 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa   25/10/13 06:13 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Tom_H   25/10/13 11:16 AM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa   25/10/13 03:58 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Mike_Bailey   25/10/13 05:19 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Mike_Bailey   25/10/13 05:21 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. Kappa   25/10/13 06:25 PM
. * * Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling. DarylS   25/10/13 02:30 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6667

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com