Kappa
(.224 member)
25/10/13 06:39 PM
Re: Single shot + shotgun vs drilling.

Quote:

I like your way of thinking. I have considered the same several times myself. I do most of my shooting with a Paradox gun, and most of what is left over with a .300H&H single shot rifle. My problem is that it is difficult for me let go of other firearms I have -- but I'm working on it.

A single shot as you describe, 6.5x57R or 7x57R for "open prairie, alpine terrain, foothills, etc." sounds great. I wonder, though what the availability of 6.5x57R and 7x57R ammunition is in Canada. If 7x65R is more readily available you might consider that choice.

You suggest a shotgun for birds and small game and then describe a need for a third, heavier gun for "close quarters/heavy bush terrain with shots less than 100 yards". Instead, I would like to suggest a 12 gauge Paradox ball and shot gun to meet both needs.

A 12 gauge Paradox makes an excellent shotgun and can be used for every task you would choose a SxS game gun for. Additionally, the Paradox gun shoots Paradox bullets suitable for any North American big game you are likely to encounter within 100 yards. It shoots a .735 caliber bullet of 740 grains and it is devastating. All you do is insert Paradox cartridges and flip up a rifle sight. Or, flip the rifle sight back down and insert shotgun cartridges. One great advantage of using a Paradox gun is that your shotgun is your big bore rife and your big bore rifle is your shotgun. It carries, handles, and comes up on target the same with standard shotshells as it does with Paradox cartridges. As a result, it is very easy to become adept bringing it to bear on both moving and stationary targets. With a Paradox gun and a single shot rifle you can meet the needs you describe with only two firearms instead of three.

Thanks for the contribution. Part of the reason for wanting to get down to 2-3 primary hunting firearms was despite having owned 20+ guns, I always used the same 2 firearms for most of my needs. The bonus now is all the money I racked up on all of those mid level guns can now be put towards something special.

I will definitely look into a paradox gun as an alternative. Regarding ammunition for either the 6x57R or 7x57R, while you can sometimes find the latter in certain stores, they both are mostly special order. However, I will be loading my own rounds and my rifle's barrel will be optimized for heavy bullets.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com