Ripp
(.577 member)
05/02/08 12:57 AM
Re: Imported wolves causing havoc in Idaho

Quote:

im okay with people trying to spinn the issues like the anti's does but this is plain stupid.
let there be no misunderstanding, im all for controlling the wolf population.
this is just a really stupid way to gather support, yes the wolfes eat elk, and rightfully so. the thing i dont understand is the talk about the herds of elk, and there wont be any left soon, to me that sounds like farming, not hunting.

all in all lousy spinn in my book,

how can we help them, get them a better spinn doctor quick.

peter

Peter

I have not watched the video clip yet--but let me just say, here in Montana--when they introduced the wolves in 1995 there was estimated to be 19,000 plus elk in the northern herd of Yellowstone National Park..with around a 24 to 30% recruitment rate of the young. As of last year it was slightly over 6000 with a recruitment rate of less than 5% --which can not support a herd.

Additionlly, I attend a Montana Dept. of Wildlife seminar recently..the big problem in Montana for many areas is the elk population is too large..and they are attempting to remedy that with more tags, longer seasons, etc...however in the area's where the wolves have been introduced...the Dept wants to reduce the tags available for elk by 50% as (for and inconclusive reason) the elk seem to be in trouble in those areas.. When I stood up and questioned the biologist, he vehemently denied it was because of wolves..which is udder and complete bullshit. Many of our state biologists have their own anit-hunting agenda they attempt to promote -both on and off the job.

So, to answer you concern above--can wolves destroy complete populations of game --the answer is YES..you have to look no further than this rediculous experiment they have done in the past 12 years. Now that the populations are above what the "greenies" agreed on for a sustainable population, that are sueing to prevent a hunting season to lower their numbers.

Another example is looking to Alaska--there has been more than one example of wolves completely detroying a local population of moose in a given area--all one needs to do is visit with some in the know in Alaska..

Do wolves have a place in the world..certainly...do they need to be managed..absolutely..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com