Ripp
(.577 member)
11/08/15 01:19 AM
Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed

Quote:

It happens - & most unfortunately for his family.

Usually to unarmed people who think parks are safe places to camp or hike with 'tame' wildlife. Sooner or later, the correct circumstances develop for an attack to happen. Protection of food source, protection of cubs, territory or simply a predatory attack - it happens.

We have had a few in the Canadian National parks as well, where firearms are not allowed to be carried. For many years I've tried to convince my family members NOT to hike or camp in the parks or where such game inhabits (most everywhere here) - they still do it.

Unbelievable as it is, a law was actually passed here in the USA a couple years back where now you are allowed to carry in the parks..having said that I can only imagine the shit storm you would face if you actually pulled it out and used it..especially in enemy territory like California ...

Yellowstone has had its share of grizzly incidences in the past few years...the story of 6-800 bears is pure BS...that is the same number they were touting when I moved here 26 years ago. I am really good friends with a now retired F&G officer who said even in the 90's there was over 1000..unless they no longer mate, think of that number...they are everywhere here now and expanding every year into new areas...

As you state Daryl, I personally NEVER hike anymore without a gun on me..the little woman prefers pepper spray..but my thoughts are with a bullet you don't have to worry about which direction the wind is coming from..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com