Ripp
(.577 member)
15/10/14 11:54 PM
Re: Pheasants, porcupines, skunks and rattlesnakes.. :)

Quote:

That's a nice brace (or two - how many makes a brace?) of pheasants and a great hunting dog too. I'm afraid I would be hunting the rattlers first, don't know how you guys put up with snakes in the field. How do your dogs get on around snakes, is it just a learning curve for them?

A brace of birds is two ---

As to snakes..what a lot of people do is snake break them if they get a chance..a dog trainer will have a snake and you can bring your dog there to introduce the dog to the snake..trainer will put on a collar and crank up the power a bit ..when the dog gets too close to the snake you hit the power button on the collar...usually takes care of it..

As to porcupines which can be horrible for a dog as well, some get really upset and seem to want to get even. They will keep trying to bit them and get more and more quills in their face and mouth..which was the case with one of my friends dogs...the smart ones will get the hint more quickly and never go near them again..

For myself, I usually hunt birds more as it gets colder. I enjoy it more and the birds move into the cattails or around them easier to find plus its easier on the dogs being cooler..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com