Longknife
(.333 member)
10/02/16 05:49 AM
Re: Wad used between powder and patched ball

I had a chain fire on my first BP revolver. I got the revolver on Christmas day in about 1973, a gift from my wife and my first BP gun. The Shop where she got it also sold her some balls to go with it. These balls were very uneven and out of round, they appeared to be tumbled with lots of flat spots on them. After loading we all went to the back yard to see this "spectacular" event, and spectacular it was!!!! When the gun went off the noise was deafening, the flash was blinding, the smoke covered the whole yard, and the recoil was just about unbearable... I really didn't know what to expect so I attempted to cock to fire the next cyl. That was when I discovered the action was locked up...upon inspection there was a ball stuck in the frame where the loading lever rests and the other 5 balls were gone!!!...ALL SIX chambers had ignited. Miraculously the gun or myself was NOT damaged! I then started using Crisco and shot this brass framed revolver for many more years...We all still laugh about the time I tried to blow my self up on Christmas day......Ed

Contact Us NitroExpress.com