Vintage_Canvas
(.275 member)
28/09/24 04:21 AM
Re: Mauser 10.75x68. Let's give it another chance!

So after a long search, a friend phoned me to asked if I still want a 10.75x68? Of course, I said! he send me some photos and without seeing the rifle, I bought it.... trusting his judgement! After all the red tape to get the license, the rifle finally arrived! What a disappointment! On the barrel it said maid in Belgium, as I was convinced by my friend that it was a FN?? this rifle look like it was build in someone's back yard shed. I was build on a mauser action! When I strip the barrel and action from the stock, I notice a huge crack behind the reciever all the way down to the trigger guard. the metalwork was horrible! After I tried to fix the broken stock as well as possible with a extra recoil lug, I also revive the stock and give it a new life, but I cant do anything to the metal work....
So eventually it was time to take it to the range....
I have some old Kynoch rounds in solid and soft nose. I tested them in the magazine. they fit, but some don't extract properly when the bolt is closed and opened without firing. That can be fixed, I told myself.
So after all the preperations, I loaded a soft nose, get the sights on the target at 50m and pulled the trigger! Click! I was tense as a bow! Slowly opened the bolt, closed it, pull trigger again.... click!
Eject the cartridge. Load a solid, pulled the trigger! Click! Same result. After inspection of the two cartridges, both had a light indent where the primer was struck, but it was not enough!
So after all my trouble and sorting out the broken stock and fitting the recoil lug, this was the last straw! I sold the rifle....
so below is the photos. but like they say, to him who waits patiently, all things good will come!
I manage to get a real beauty... but that is another story!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com