K98
(.224 member)
16/08/24 10:48 PM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

That is one fine looking rifle. I think we have the same preference for old school rifles. I am currently building a very similar rifle, or I should say having one built as I am not qualified to do the work lol. I have a Mauser 98 action unmolested with scope ring holes etc. all matching numbers getting a LW 7x57 installed. It is the Lothar Walther Mauser sporter contour like Rigby used in the early 1900.

What has me stymied is the stock. The one you have is absolutely perfect Mauser sporter.
Two things I cannot stand on a rifle are recoil pads and straight combs for scopes, makes my stomach hurt.
I was able to by chance buy a stock off an old beater and will have to make a copy if I cannot salvage the original.
This week alone I’ve found 3 different original Oberndorf Mauser sporters with recoil pads installed! It’s almost too much to stomach lol. With all the plastic stocks out there why would anyone cut up a hundred year old piece of wood?

Anyway congratulations on a fine rifle will be watching for the finished photos.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com