Wedgetail
(.275 member)
13/09/20 08:40 PM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

Quote:

hi wedgie, about the length of bolt, the straight down tear drop style bolts traditionally come down so the bottom is level with the bottom of the wood work, I’m wanting to use this style on a project and my gunsmith told me to get my bottom metal etc sorted before I get him to do the bolt, he also confirmed the bolt should reach the bottom of stock/metal, if you have a drop box of course the mag will be a bit lower again, really enjoying this thread, keep up the good work!

Thanks - that’s a good pointer and one that’s very hard to pick out in photos. I was thinking 59mm (that’s prechtl’s standard length) so will check that ends at the wood
Quote:

I'm surprised there is so much wood to remove, the guy that panograph's my stocks gets them so close all I need to do is scrape the inletting to get a perfectly snug fit. He's 10-15 thousands under size, guess I'm spoiled.

Bob

theres not that much to remove - bottom metal is pretty much dead on, a tiny bit needs taking off the rear “tang” at its extreme length. Receiver a little more but as they vary quite a lot I’m glad he didn’t make it too close. We discussed various aspects especially the barrel profile and decided it was much better to have wood to remove rather than gaps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com