Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
29/07/20 03:51 AM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

Quote:

Thanks for the links Rothhammer. Interestingly that first one with the full slab sides also has a shotgun trigger bow... although it’s not a very original looking rifle so maybe that bits changed. I do like the stock though. In fact I think I like slab sides, just trying to decide if I like them enough to deviate from my initial desire of creating as close to an original as I realistically can in terms of style - my action is marked 1937

I was going a whole different way with this, but it appears that the 'full slab sides' are almost exclusively (?) seen on 'Haenel Mannlichers' such as their sporting version of Gewehr 88 (which they were producing under contract) and its descendants, the Haenel Modell 1900 and 1909. Link: Haenel
Searches of 'Haenel Mauser' end up with Gewehr 88 models in Mauser chamberings and I find very few 'slab sided' mousies.

Even so, it's entirely plausible to think that someone of that time (1937) may have crafted, or ordered to be built by a guild shop, a'custom' Mauser that varied considerably from the Mauser factory styles. Perhaps someone could have harbored a soft spot in their heart for a 'Mannlicher Haenel' they had previously owned and now (1937) wanted to have a stalking rifle of that style yet preferred the Mauser 98 action or available chamberings? Not 'Mauser original', but 'period aftermarket correct'?

Here is a page from the ol' '39 Stoeger offering stutzen stocks to spiff up WW1 surplus military rifles for do it yourselfers in the U.S., or one could send the rifle to Stoeger and have them do the conversion:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com