themauserkid
(.275 member)
29/07/20 03:02 AM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

Hey fellas, there’s a slight misunderstanding going on here. The above .270 rifle is not an Oberndorf proper, that’s a prewar JP Sauer small ring with the typical trigger guard as seen on these. It’s also not a shotgun style per se, simply an enlarged forging of the typical Oberndorf guard, there is no tang extending past the rear action screw or anything on these. Also note the simple straight line border engraved and matted top of receiver, this is standard on a Sauer. Sauer’s styling on Mauser action rifles was basically unchanged on their “normal” production models from at least 1897 until the war. The earliest I’ve seen was a three digit serial on a transitional 1897 action, it’s pre 1898 of course but has many of the features already. I believe I actually saw that rifle on this forum somewhere.

I largely collect Sauer so if anyone would like pictures of this trigger guard or any other details let me know as I have some on hand. This trigger guard was pretty much standard at Sauer until roughly the early 1930’s it appears, after which the internal bow release lever and converted “standard” Mauser 98 pattern trigger guards show up on them. This particular pattern I do not have yet but am on the hunt for! The one I have not seen and assume will not, is the typical Oberndorf pattern of guard as used on most of their models. Neat project by the way!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com