Kiwi_bloke
(.333 member)
30/07/10 03:43 PM
Re: 5.6 x 61 Vom Hofe Super express

Most .228" bullets are intended for .22 Savage velocities. For game, the only jacketed lead bullet designed for the 5,6x61 SEvH that I know of in current production is the 77-grain Belgian made Degol which is a close copy of the original "paraboloid" (Zeppelin) shaped factory bullet. It's a bonded (soldered) core bullet and accurate in my Mauser 5,6x61 SEvH. If you can get a supply, why look further ?

This rifle's twist is the standard 1 in 9" and I've been told that longer copper bullets such as the Reichenberg HDB won't stablilize in it. I can't confirm that directly.

The next best choice, (and a lot cheaper), is the Hornady .227" Inter-Lock soft point round. A fellow 5,6 vom Hofe user drives his at 3,536 fps and gets 1" accuracy at 200 yards. He was very impressed at how it put down a white-tail buck and he also shoots coyotes at very long distances. This Hornady bullet is also accurate in my factory rifle.

RWS make a .227/8" round and I find them very accurate. But I wonder just how strong the jacket is as it's made for the much lower velocity Savage round which is still popular in Europe for roe deer & fox.

I don't think I'd use the .224" 74-grain Kegelspitz or any .224" bullet in this larger diameter barrel. However a KS bullet worked just fine on a fallow buck, (a white-tail sized deer) in my .22 caliber 5,6x57 RWS rifle. The amount of internal damage was impressive and it's also accurate at around 3/4" at 100 yards from my factory Anschuetz M.1566.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com