KWJohnston
(.275 member)
23/05/24 02:04 AM
Re: John Rigby 3of25 The NEW "Original" "Corbett" 98 .275 Rigby

Like many others here, I have read most of Jim Corbett's books. Although I can't possibly remember every detail in them, I don't recall him writing of being "Presented" or "Awarded" the 275 rifle. Clearly Jim Corbett was not a boastful man, so its possible his ego did not need to be satisfied by informing everyone of his being gifted the rifle. That's my take on it.

In regards to the actual use of his 275 rifle, one important story has failed to be mentioned yet...

Tucked inside his book Maneaters of Kumaon is a wonderful chapter called "Robin". This chapter is a sepecial gem. It is the story of Jim Corbett's dog Robin and a particular adventure they shared together. If you haven't read this story recently please do so! I will not spoil the details here. However, the iconic 275 is used by Corbett to defend himself from a charging Leopard. The 275 did not dispatch the Leopard, but there is no doubt it saved him from a very serious mauling or worse. Corbett does indeed swap out the 275 for his 450/400 Double before he attempts to confront the Leopard for a second time. He plainly states that the big double was the superior weapon for the situation.

This particular story is well worth reading again. Not only is the famous 275 rifle featured prominently, but the story has a special and personal significance to Corbett himself. It most certainly shows in his writing.

Regards.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com