bakposten
(.300 member)
15/09/12 09:57 AM
Re: Hahn in Ruh

Me and some friends try to get out to hunt seals some times each year, and we think it`s great fun. But as Lancaster wrote it is a bit different than hunting them on the beach. We usually hunt seals from January through March, the weather is critical for the outcome of the hunt. for the most parts we scout with boats, and try to find them on big enough islands for us to get a shore and then get within shooting distance. Sometimes we try to sit and wait for them to come to known spots the seals frequent, but we prefer scouting from the boat.

It`s allowed too shoot from the boat, but that is extremely difficult. We are required to use a rifle that is minimum a 6,5mm and shoots a 140 grain bullet. Personally I find that ridiculous, I would much prefer a 22-250 with a varmint bullet, much less problems with bullets ricochetting. And we almost always aim for the head, as the skull is like glass. With a body shoot the seal can easily slip back into the water and be gone for good. If you shoot them in the water you have about a 50 percent chance of recovering it, sometimes it floats sometimes it don`t. So it`s not recommended.

The meat tastes ok, but it`s a lot of work to skin it, and a lot of fat to cut a way. But it`s always fun to have on the bbq in the summertime. The fur is extremely warm, and I think it looks great. In a couple of years I hopefully will have shoot enough of them to make me a decent sealskin jacket.

Gun cleaning is extremely important, never ever forget your rifle in the gun case over night after being out on the sea, it will rust... And yes I`ve done that. I now have dedicated "hard work rifle", for all the though jobs, you don`t bring your custom Holland & Holland or your Oberndorf out for this kind of hunting.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com