szihn
(.400 member)
26/05/21 12:26 AM
Re: Single Action for self defense ?

We are all devotees of the shooting sports and we all love guns. It's natural for us all to focus on guns because it a passion we all share.

BUT, gunfighting is about 98% about knowing about fighting and about 2% about the gun.
The times a good fighter wants more rounds in the gun and faster reloads are only those times when he has more enemies than he can handle with what is in the gun.

Choosing a gun to go into the fight, we always choose the one that gives us the best advantages we can. As a country degenerates into a criminal, godless society, we see the need more and more for "military type" weapons because it's far more common to deal with larger numbers of enemies. See Brizil, South Africa as just 2 of many examples. The USA is heading in that direction today for the exact same reasons. Hopefully patriotic American will wake up soon and reverse it, but that will not happen without violence of the threat of violence. As we have just seen, voting doesn't matter at all.

So to answer the OPs question about a SA being OK for self-defense......Sure it is, IF YOU ARE SKILLED ENOUGH. But we can't foresee the future of every minute of our lives. If you were to get into a fight with 8 men at one time a Glock can hold more ammo than a SA revolver but it begs the question, can you beat 8 men if those 8 have any degree of training at all, no matter what you are armed with? if you can foresee a fight coming why on earth would you choose ANY handgun? Take that time to pick up a rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you win in a fight with 8 armed enemies when they have autos and you have a SA revolver? Believe it or not the answer can be "yes" but that depends on the mindset of the 8 and the mindset of the 1 (you) far more than it depends on the tool in your hand. Good luck can fall to the enemy as much as it can fall to you and in an 8 to 1 fight they have 8 times more chances to get lucky. And when the odds are way off-sides, it may depend on luck (Meaning God's protection)

We can't create luck, but we CAN create skill.

I was a US Marine way back in the dark days and I was with Force Recon. To those that don't know what that means, I'll just say where we went, we were supposed to be outnumbered and we were supposed to be surrounded, but with enough training we usually did better then the enemy that surrounded us. There was a time when they really didn't like to try to catch up to us. I apologize if that sounds like bravado, but what I am writing here I know from personal experience, not things I read in some book. And as I told my students for 30 years, "I'm still here"!

So.........how much training are you willing to do? How much time can you afford to train?

I'd venture to say that in my prime, if I had been home and carrying my old Ruger Super Blackhawk, and gotten into a fight with street thugs, I would not give good odds to those thugs. I could shoot birds out of the air with handguns when I was in my 20s and 30s and I did it many times in front of various witnesses. One of whom is a friend of Tinker on this forum.

So what is the truth? Well, if you can't shoot well UNDER PRESSURE the whole fight fall back to who gets lucky, them or you. If you can shoot well and understand movement in battle you are very likely to win, even if they have "better" guns, IF YOU ARE THE BETTER MAN.

Does that mean I would recommend a SA as a combat gun? Not usually! But I have known 2 students that shot their single actions far better than they shot any other handguns, and because of that fact, in those cases I tell those students to carry what they shoot the best. It's 98% about the fighter and 2% about what he fights with.
My best advice is to train with a gun that holds more ammo and is faster to reload, but if you shoot a SA better, carry that until you are as good or better with the "better gun". Better fighter with "less gun" is more dangerous then a great gun used by a poor fighter.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com