CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
23/11/12 10:26 PM
Re: Maharaja of Alwar Westley Richards .350

Huvius,

A splendid rifle with a lot of history, I am sure. Congratulations! Have you researched this gun?

Please explain more about the construction. I'm seeing something I've not seen before.

Quote:

Boxlock in .350 No.2 Rigby actually built on a droplock action from another gun!

In the photo above the two pins toward the rear of the action tell me this gun has fixed locks. In fact, a detachable lock Westley Richards has no pins through the sides at all. Compare this .425 detachable lock (photo below):

Yet the action floorplate does not look like a fixed lock floorplate. It looks like a detachable lock floorplate.

Compare your floorplate photo (below left) to my fixed lock .303 British (below right). Huge difference! Yours does indeed look like a droplock floorplate.

Again, compare these to the .425 Westley detachable lock rifle previously mentioned (photo below):

I'm no expert, but I've not seen anything like this. The Greener safety I can understand - just a matter of preference. But what is the overall construction of the action? Is the floorplate removable? If so, we need photos! I sure would like to see a photo of the knuckle with the forend and barrels off. This would be most unusual to find a Westley with fixed locks and removable floorplate.

Thanks for posting. You have presented a most interesting specimen.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com