404bearslayer
(.300 member)
01/12/09 06:12 AM
Re: Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe DR .470 NE

Thanks, 4seventy & Armbar,

the main distribution area of those bears in Romania is the mountain ranges, mainly in the north of the country, all else is pretty much either urban or flat farmland without any kind of cover. So this bear came from a pretty remote area also. There they are fairly concentrated, however. On driven shoots for boar, one can have a shot at bear quite often as well. Not without risk, however. When I was there, I was told that a hunter left his position during a drive to admire his kill. A bear happened to come along and took half his scalp off with his paw before being shot by another hunter who happened to have this scene within his line of fire. Not a very smart guy - you never leave your position during a drive anyhow, as there is a good chance that other hunters might kill you by accident.

Armbar: The gun was in not commissioned by me, if that's what you mean. I own a H&H shotgun as well, which was commissioned by me a couple of years ago, and the time it takes until it's done is simply too long for me. Always wanted a H&H double, so I simply waited until one came along with features I liked and which would fit me. Before I bought the double, there was a lengthy exchange with H&H in comparing the double with my H&H shotgun measurements and balance (which was fitted to me at the time). As the double was set up for a scope, it had a straight stock 'shotgun style' design to begin with. Anyhow, with the fitting of the Kick-EEZ pad the entire gun happened to be an exact duplicate in measurements and balance to my fitted H&H shotgun. And in deed, I can can shoot it instinctively, like a shotgun. I can mount the gun, point and shoot to where I look (with disregard to the iron sights) and I am on target. So, the gun was made for me, after all . I was lucky, of course, in that everything was the way I wanted. Would not have bought it if the balance / measurements would have been off for me. A double only really comes to life if you can shoot it like shotgun. For me that is the real advantage over bolt-actions - that they swing into the target naturally. A single barrel gun simply cannot do that.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com