400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
24/01/04 03:00 PM
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles

Chasseur & dasMafia:

In regard to your question about the Nosler Partition, the short answer is, I've never tried it. I only own one double rifle that Nosler makes the Partition in an appropriate diameter for, a .400/.360 NE that I use off the shelf 9.3 bullets in. The 286 grain 9.3 Partition was introduced about the time I had had an experience with the 300 grain Swift A-Frame that convinced me not to use it. Added to my experience with my friend's Westley Richards, I decided to restrict my doubles to conventional lead core bullets only.

You might find my experience with the A-Frame of interest. My .400/.360 was regulated for 300 grain bullets, and although 270 and 285 grain bullets give very good accuracy in it, 300 grain shoot the best. The problem is that 300 grain 9.3 bullets are hard to find. Since the Swift 9.3 is a 300, I reluctantly decided to try it. This .400/.360 has a tight bore and I size down off the shelf 9.3 bullets to groove diameter (.363") in a Corbin reducing die. Even RWS and Woodleigh steel-jacketed solids go through this die with just slightly more pressure on the handle than is required to full length resize a case. The first Swift I tried wouldn't enter the die. I checked the diameter - .366" just like it is supposed to be. I added more lube and tried again and just couldn't get it to go. I then added a 4' length of steel pipe to the handle as a cheater. I quit when the top of the loading table began to crackle under the load. The bullet didn't enter the die - not even .001". Nope, not in MY double rifle.

I look at it like this. I'm guessing a little as I haven't priced it since the problem with the Westley, but I would imagine that sending an English double back to the maker for new barrels would currently cost around $15,000 - more than most nice second-hand English boxlock double rifles are worth. When you damage the barrels, you've screwed the pooch. The Nosler is probably a softer bullet than the Swift, and it just might be OK, but finding out the hard way is a little rich for my blood. The Partition and the A-Frame are wonderful bullets, but so are Woodleighs, and they are a known quantity in double rifles as they were designed with them in mind.
--------------------------------

Contact Us NitroExpress.com