banzaibird
(.333 member)
04/04/06 11:49 AM
Re: This new action...

Judson,

I to would like to see the checkering. This is something that I haven't ever done. I however just bought some basic tools to teach myself checkering so would really like to hear your thoughts with the pics on layout and cradles etc.

Since you were replying to my post I'll assume you were asking my opinion on the 470 or 500. Personally I would go with the 500 simply because it is a bit more uncommon. However until recently I've never sold any of the guns that I built so resale isn't one of my considerations. The gun I recently sold was a 50/70 built on a belgian 12 gauge. It was regulated for BP. The only reason I sold it is because the offer was something I couldn't walk away from. The rest are all still here. Though the guy took the 50/70 to a different club to shoot and gave them my name so now have about 3 guys calling. However I'm not looking at doing this on a commercial venture. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the callers yet. Maybe if I thin out my homebuilts some more I can buy a DR that began it's life as a DR.

Anyway the whole point was I build what interests me and is most useful for me. I won't be headed of to Africa anytime in the next 15 years or so, so most of what I built so far is small/med. bore. That said I'd build the 500. Though I would seriously look at the 577 like Marraki shoots. In fact I've begun to assemble parts for that. I picked up a 12 gauge hammergun that I'm going to use for my 577. However I'll probably build a 450/400 3" next. The 577 really isn't practical for me but it is something I just want.

The shop I build out of has CNC capabilities and I have been thinking about making a bunch of sights, quarter ribs and sling swivels etc in different sizes for sale to other home DR builders. Not that with set-up etc I'd become rich but more of a resource. I also have most of the bugs worked out of the underlever(snap) action with trigger plate mounted internals (blitz like). When that happens I should be able to keep myself in actions for a reasonable sum.

So are the DR's something that you are offering as general services out of your shop? Or is it more of a limited offer? I think that we homebuilders should get organized a bit and we can share even more info and possibly reamers etc.

Anyway I look forward to the pics of the checkering with full description and would like to hear anything else you have on any builds.

Bill

P.S.- My 22 hornet DR (built on Huglu 28 gauge) accounted for another 5 groundhogs today .

Contact Us NitroExpress.com