UsingEnoughGun
(.224 member)
05/11/05 05:49 AM
Re: Thoughts on the 300 H&H?

Thanks zimhunter, mick & all. It's belted, fortunately, so brass is no problem. I'm still trying to post pictures and hope to have them up soon. I tried to send them to you John, but your mailbox is full.

I (sort of) understand the physics of bullet weight vs. powder charge in tightening groups. But can I reasonably expect to do any better than 1/2" at 100 yards? That's about maximum shooting range where I hunt whitetails.

And if — I mean WHEN, yikes! — I go west for elk, and I'm handloading, can I (by trial at the range) realistically make this a 200- or 300-yard gun with similar accuracy? I know the caliber won all sorts of extreme range matches in London in its heyday. I'd just been thinking I'd have to get within 100 yards of my bull because that seems to be this rifle's regulated range. But that's with this old, 220-grain load, I guess?

And one more question... Inside 40 yards, I get good right/left patterns, but they're somewhere around two inches low. That doesn't concern me much; I've shot the gun enough to know where to hold on a close deer. But it interests me. What's going on there?

Zimhunter, what's a Mississippi State Bulldog doing in Arizona?!? How do you stand that (I know, I know... it's dry) heat?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com