EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
13/03/24 11:09 AM
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol

The Pedersoli "Alaskan" (nickel with black rubber covered wood) at least has a decent shaped grip. They do make a hammer version; but like the others the grip is based on the Ithaca Auto Burglar. I suspect they were trying to entice both the howdah and auto burglar customers. I actually like them as a modern-esque take on the howdah; after all who else is making one.

The muzzleloader versions are, I think, truer to the original concept of the howdah. I have two. one is the early version with the swiveling ramrod. The other started as a kit and I shortened the barrels to 8 inches. Its easier to carry I had a local guy make me a crossdraw holster and its been worn several times in the shop. The full size can also be used with a stock.

I seem to recall seeing an original supershort "Howdah Rifle". I cant recall if the stock on the original was fixed of removal.

Years ago I was involved in 18th century living history. Once a year we had live fire competitions. The handgun class was separated into rifled and smoothbore. Historically guns of that period were both, You guys would know better than me; but I suspect Howdahs were both smooth and rifled. Likewise I suspect some had sights and some didnt. My shortened version does NOT have sights, as I imagine a hastily made or cost effective period gun would have been. The full productions guns all have sights.

As for self defense from a charging animal Tiger, Wild Boar, or rabid dog; I dont see the need for a sight on a muzzle against flesh shot out to self defense at room distance against a two legged animal. Beyond room distance, I would suggest the howdah is not the best choice, and relying on sights to improve that is a mistake.

The Diablo is ugly by traditional howdah standards. Im pretty sure there was never any intent to duplicate a howdah. That being said; if original howdahs were made from shortened rifles and shotguns, then the Diablo follows that tradition.

I have long considered having a custom built howdah made in the traditional pattern; but lacking a winning lottery ticket or a booked tiger hunt; that contract is on hold

Contact Us NitroExpress.com