JudoFire
(.224 member)
16/06/23 04:38 AM
Re: Double Rifles and Regulation

Newbie here, fixing to build and regulate my own DR soon.
I thought it was a good read and pretty much on par with the research I have done thus far on the project.
Having zero experience with regulating and only knowing what I have read. Im not going to pull my hair out looking for perfection.
I wont tell you that Im going to try for a common POI or that I will end end up with right barrel right, left barrel left. For one thing, I dont think I can shoot well enough for it to make a difference and for another thing, I cant hold myself to trying to regulate with that kind of precision. I mean we're talking the difference of 3/4" or so (or about 2cm for you metric guys. LOL) between shooting POI or parallel.
That small difference isnt going to make any difference to me at 80 to 100 yards. Human error is worth at least that much and Im not building it to shoot prairie dogs.
My goal is to regulate to shoot a group I can live with. If I can hit a 110mm clay skeet target at 100 yards (92 meters) with both barrels, I couldnt give a rip less which barrel hit where. Thats a group I can live with and I would be happy with it. Thats about 4 MOA and plenty tight enough to ethically harvest anything Ill be shooting at.
95% of the time the rifle will be used to hunt deer in southern Michigan and in my 27 years of deer hunting, I have only ever shot one over 50 yards. It may find its way on my next mountain lion hunt although I am bowhunter and the last two times Ive gone mountain lion hunting, I have used my bow. Those dont offer long shots either. Dogs chase the cat up a tree, you shoot the cat out of the tree. 4 MOA accuracy at maybe 50 or 60 feet. At that range is a group of less than 17mm.
Not arguing with your post at all, I just think its WAY overthinking it. Which, If a guy was to spend five digits on a rifle that is being built by people that do this for a living, he shouldnt expect any less, but for the shadetree redneck like myself, if I can regulate it well enough to make it deadly on big animals inside of 100 yards. Thats good enough for me. I mean, I will make every attempt I can to get it as close as possible, but Im not going to spend weeks at the range and hundreds of rounds of ammunition to get it perfect. I dont think I could get it perfect. I cant shoot well enough to get it perfect. I would be wasting ammo just chasing around my own human error.
...and Im not a BAD shot but I am realistic....and realistically speaking, with iron sights at 100 yards, Im not expecting to touch holes. If I can get both barrels to impact on the same horizontal plane and shoot within an inch to an inch and a half of a vertical line, Im going to call it "regulated". I wont even care which side of the line they impact...I mean within reason. Obviously if theyre crossing early and hitting three inches apart at 100 yards, there is a little more work that could be done but you smell what Im stepping in.
It wouldnt matter to me if the bullet impacted an inch left of the line, and inch right of the line, or right ON the line. That is good enough accuracy to kill anything Ill be shooting at. If youre trying to get it any better than that, I think youre trying to pick fly poop out of chili.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com