Postman
(.375 member)
25/04/14 08:34 AM
Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE

All:

Here's a newbie question: I am about to embark on my 1st Cape buffalo hunt and have a very basic question regarding bullet penetration on Cape buffalo.

The bullets I will use are Barnes mono metal 570 grain TSX in a .500 NE. Assume 2050 fps mv

1. How do these things penetrate when shooting facing on or broadside at 50 yards?
2. At 100 yards?
3. If penetration is expected to be excessive, should I down load somewhat and take it down by 100 FPS to 1950 FPS?
4. What about taking it down to 1850 FPS?

I have the Barnes solids as well. My thought is to load them to the same velocity as I do the TSX bullets. Would they perform in an "up the exhaust pipe" shot if required even at the reduced loads I'm contemplating? I could theoretically down load the TSXs and full power load the solids on the theory that if you actually need a solid, you need it in the worst possible way.

POI is not an issue as I've managed to get a lighter load and a full power load to regulate to the same POI @ up to 100 yards by experimenting with different powders and seating depths until I got the two different loads tuned to hit the same POI.

I have absolutely ZERO field experience with this gun or Cape buffalo so any and all opinions based on field experience would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Postman

Contact Us NitroExpress.com