DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
13/01/13 04:15 AM
Re: Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels??

Quote:

I am not sure on double rifles or the German market/industry, but, according to a couple of authors I've read both the French gun buying public and French gun makers seemed to move faster away from Damascus and towards fluid steel in the late 19th century than their counterparts in the US or UK.

I'll add that while my view is not definitive, I do tend to see far less damascus shotguns in France than I do in the US and I am always looking for SxS guys in shops.

IMO, around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century it seemed that there were several new things pertaining to fire arms after a long period of them being built in ways that caused shooters reluctant to change! Damascus barrels was one of those things folks were reluctant to accept being changed. However, in the US by the late 1930s people were shying away from Damascus barreled firearms especially shotguns, and were considered only an old black powder throw backs!

I have some black powder doubles, both shotguns and double rifles and cape guns but all are from the black powder era, and are shot only with black powder.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com