500Nitro
(.450 member)
11/10/09 12:51 PM
Re: Let's have some fun.

Quote:

I suppose what you are saying that only you and others of like views taste is all that matters. You are certainly allowed to have that view but it does not have to apply to all. I personally don't like decorated guns period but that again is a personal view and I don't set myself up as the judge of values for all. All people are not collectors and beleive it or not all gun owners do not believe the art of gunmaking stopped with the British. Those,of course,are personal opinions as are the others presented on this forum. You are certainly entitled to yours as I am to mine. I don't have extensive knowledge about the collector value of english double rifles or what was or was not absolutely proper for each model and make but I would match my knowledge of many other facets of the gunmakers art with yours. I am not now nor have I ever been a collector of anything in particular. As much from a lack of interst in collecting as a lack of funds. Some collect stamps,some coins,some art, some guns, more power to them if that is their desire but don't try to imply that somehow we who do not share your same values are somehow inferior in their values. I like my Mustang and quite frankly would not trade it for a Rolls except to sell the Rolls. I feel the lines of the Mustang appeal to me much more than the Rolls. I also like vanilla ice cream and dislike choclate for what that is worth which is exactly nothing. Incidentally no where in the ad did I find any reference to this rifle having been refinished or any particulars about the process. Neither did it say it was new. I would have a hard time from the photos determining what process was used to blue the gun,I also can't tell from the photos whether the barrels and other metal were properly resurfaced prior to refinish. The fit SEEMS good and the wood work looks good as to fit and finish. Being a school trained gunsmith of almost 60 years I believe I DO understand a FEW things about guns.

Zim

You are totally and utterley missing the point.

"beleive it or not all gun owners do not believe the art of gunmaking stopped with the British"

Of course it didn't, the Germans, French, Italians, Spanish, Yanks plus many other, all made great guns
in their STYLE and how their customers wanted them.

But to take this gun and turn it into something an utter abomination is something 99.9% of DR hunter OR collectors would not like.

Collector or Hunter - I think you'll find those who like DR's have DR's that they bought for hunting and DR's they bought for Collecing purposes. I know I have a few "collectors" and more hunters, CptCurl has both by the looks of it and quite a few others I know of.

Cars - since you bought up the subject - I like Mustangs and Roll Royce's and like them for what they are and what each represents. I wouldn't want a Rolls with flares and spoilers.

And as for the last bit, as 400 said, if you can't tell what is wrong, then it shows you're level of knowledge
so no point in going back to the start.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com