tinker
(.416 member)
21/09/08 06:15 AM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

Chasseur-

I hear you on the '...need for the newest bullet...'
A couple or three years ago, seeing the condor bullshit coming I looked into copper/cupric alloy construction bullets for my Tolley 450magnum.
The net result of that experience pretty much left me distancing myself from even thinking seriously on the topic -- both of said bullets and of hunting in the affected area.

At this time though, where I'm sure you know my typical pressing concerns are '...the need for the proper bullet from 150yrs ago...', I more and more often am present to the *sooner or later* nature of further lead-ban to our hunting areas.
If not this year or the next couple, it's coming and I'll still want to run my early cartridge rifles when it does.

As a machinist and a member of the engineering community, I can't keep design concepts out of the back of my head in regards to lead-free projectiles -- and how to get them to hit to regulation -- for my BPE and bore rifles.
I'm not sure to count myself lucky to have the cognitive space and ability to work that kind of stuff out, or to chalk myself up as a victim of my interests.

In regards to the lead-free bullet choices available for relatively modern (IE anything cordite era or newer) rifles, my choice for the double rifles would likely be the North Fork. I trust the 'look' of the bullet more than the others, and as to the price -- it won't take many to get a good load together, and only one or two to kill the animal during the hunt, so the price isn't that much of a factor considering the introductory price of a double rifle starts at about five grand anyway.
With the bolt guns I'd just buy the Barnes (X-whatever) and forget about it.

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com