DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
18/06/08 11:57 PM
Re: Do you own/hunt a Double??

Quote:

On the subject of doubles with bad barrels. I have a friend who deals in doubles and he had a nice rifle come in I think it was a Armey/Navey in .303. The out side metal and wood were in nice condition but Some one had shot corrosive ammo in it and hadn’t cleaned it properly. You couldn’t keep 2 shots on the target at 50 yards. The ones that hit were key holing. The answer was to send it out and have it rebored to a larger caliber. I believe it was brought up to .375 flanged mag. I did see a target with 4 rounds in 1 ½ at 100 after it was complete.
This is a practice that has been going on since the early days when people would have their BP rifle freshened up by opening the bore a little and having a new ball or bullet mold made.
I wouldn’t hesitate to re bore a rifle that had bad barrels and was other wise structurally sound.
Bill

Bill, the 303 doubles are mostly toast inside the barrels, because of the extencive use of military surplus ammo that was very carrosive, and no cleaning! The best chartridge to rechamber, and re-bore for is the 8X37JRS, It is rimmed like the 303 but the slightly larger case cleans out the old chamber, and the .323 bullet, of the JRS will clean out the old bore, in most cases. The chamber pressures are the same, and so re-proofing isn't necessary! Some of the old 303 doubles can be shot as is by simply loading the .318 bullets made for the 8X57JR in the 303 case. PWN375 has one that shoots well with the .318 bullets with no other change.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com