NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/06/07 06:46 AM
Re: .22 Savage Hi-Power or .225 Winchester

Again note the idea is the rifle will almost only be used with 'heavier' bullets such as a 70 grainer.

I am not sure of the practicalities, but what about a .224 Super or Hi-Power ie the .22 Hi-Power customed designed for a .224 calibre rather than the more limited .228 calibre?

To explain more.

The idea is for a .22 calibre double rifle to be one day (long term project) built on a .410 side by side hammer shotgun. I liked the idea and the project Alan McKenzie posted of a Belgian .410 being made into a side by side double rifle in .22 Hornet.

Unfortunately the photos of that project have dropped off the original thread otherwise I would have copied them here. I may have them saved on a PC somewhere but haven't found them yet.

Other rimmed cartridges of course could be considered and some good suggestions have been made. The main criteria would be a rimmed cartridge low enough pressure to be feasible in a break open .410 shotgun frame, and enough velocity to shoot a 70 gr .22 bullet well. If it was regulated for a 70 gr bullet, other bullets from the excellent .224 range might be feasible or not, depending on the fixed regulation for the heavier bullet.

A little .22 double firing a 70 gr bullet I think would make a neat kangaroo, wallaby, goat, small deer and smaller pig rifle for fun.

Plus other small game if shot accurately enough to hit them. Generally I head shoot hares and rabbits and that might be a bit hard unless the rifle was very accurate.

A long term project but it would be a fun one.

(Thread moved from the "Hunting in Australia" forum.)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com