eagle27
(.400 member)
05/09/20 01:56 PM
Re: How important is a metplat on cast bullets for hunting

My 404 400 gr cast bullets already have a flat meplat and I have thought of hollow pointing some to see if expansion is enhanced. Also like to try hollow pointing enough to insert one of the small plastic BBs used in airsoft guns, would look rather neat if nothing else with a red or yellow plastic tip.

How are you holding your cast bullets in your lathe? I use my RCBS bullet puller die in the lathe three jaw with a NC bolt replacing the collet handle. I can access the bolt head with a socket on the end of a T handle through the lathe centre.

I use this setup for cutting a small rebate for a gas check on the base of my plain based bullets. Can do about 120 bullets an hour with the bullet puller hold the bullets perfectly centre and snuggly without damage. Reversing the bullets in the die would present them to drill a hollow point.

The beauty of using the collet setup sees the cast bullets bottom out nose or base first in the collet at the same depth each time so whether cutting a rebate on the base or hollow pointing the nose, the tool turret can be set to give exactly the same travel each time i.e. consistent depth for rebate or hollow point.

Plain based cast bullet with gas check rebate cut.

Bullet held for hollow pointing or cutting of larger meplat.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com