buckstix
(.400 member)
07/07/24 09:22 PM
Re: I Bought an unknown-hope its a 404 Jeffery/ its 11.2x72

Quote:

From memory, I think it has been recommended to reduce the FMJ load by one grain. Due to the thick jacket.

Yes, in actual use I would reduce loads to achieve 2200 to 2250 fps, which I believe would be adequate in the field. My "fun" load for the 11.2x72 Schuler is 55g AA5744 for a velocity of 2025 fps.

Quote:

Those groups look very good. I wonder if slightly less velocities will raise or lower the FMJ bullet impact. Usable as is, I'd sight it point of aim at 100 yards for the FMJ. An inch plus for the SP. While the SP would be used most, the FMJ is the serious bullet for serious times. Up to 100 metres. Just aim dead on.

If I was preparing for a hunt, I would taylor the loads as you suggest. For this field test I left the scope sighted as received. Before I put the gun away, I clicked the scope adjustments to better position the groups for the next outing.

Quote:

BTW what is the exact inch calibre diameter? (Answered at the Woodleigh website 11.2 Schuler .440".) And thanks to GV and yourself for the information on the cartridge and ballistics. Amazing and useful that GV also has an rifle chambered in the same cartridge. Very rare. And earlier information by the other expert contributors

Yes, bullets are .440" diameter. I have 3 rifles in this caliber. I posted some last year about my first rifle here on this forum. Its an original Schuler built rifle. ...

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=374726

And here is the post on this forum last year about my 2nd rifle in 11.2x72 Schuler caliber. This rifle is a very rare original Peterlongo built rifle in remarkable condition. Both of these earlier posts give a lot of details about the cartridge and bullets for the caliber.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=mauserforum&Number=375238

Quote:

Well done. I'd never heard of the 11.2x72mm before. I like the idea of unique unusual but very usable cartridge chamberings. Except if you ever need to replace lost ammunition. Then one would want the most common cartridges available.

Well done again. Not a .404 but an even rarer and useful 11.2x72 Schuler.

You are correct. Other calibers are much more practical with better ammo availability. The 11.2x72 Schuler is limited to hand-loading custom ammo. And whats really disappointing is Woodleigh discontinuing bullets in .440" diameter because of low demand. Bullets are still available from HAWK and CUTTING EDGE. However the CUTTING EDGE bullets are lathe turned solids and are very long and cannot achieve the velocities obtainable with HAWK and Woodleigh bullets. If other shooters here in the U.S. need .440" bullets for their rifles, I can bump-up .422" bullets to .440" with my Corbin swage dies. (Softs only - NOT solids - see the Peterlongo link above)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com