Westley_Richards
(.224 member)
11/04/05 02:29 AM
Re: .495 A-Square Caesar Rifle

Is your goal then to own the largest caliber that you can stand the recoil of? Another approach would be to consider the use that you intend to put the rifle to. Hunting what kind of game? Shooting what kind of targets? etc. This would then guide you as to what kinds of rifle calibers work best. Then you could decide on which caliber you like best for a given task. Or...

You could see how much recoil you could stand. My take on 3-3&1/2 shotgun duck loads in an O/U is that the recoil is sharper but since a large caliber rifle moves more mass they have a stronger push. I own a .500N that pushes me harder than I find pleasant and just a bit harder than I find acceptable..It's all relative.

When you shoot a .375H&H does it feel like "HOLY SHIT!!!" Or
does it feel like something you could get used to? A .375 H&H is an excellant, historical, pedigreed, English cartridge that can be used in hunting anything any where in the world. The original reason for development of larger nitro cartridges from the original black powder was for damage control with situations already made dangerous. Like wounded elephant, buffalo, etc. where a good clean shot would only make the animal more angry. A PH would have use of a .495 A-Square to back up a client like me who screwed up a simple shot and made it a situation.

WR

Contact Us NitroExpress.com