SingleShot
(.224 member)
04/10/12 11:48 AM
550 Magnum

In 2004, there was a lot of interest in the new 550 Magnum concept. It was attractive because it could push a 700 grain bullet at 2300 fps and still fit in a CZ 550 and other inexpensive actions with easy modification. It is a blown out 460 Weatherby so the head to bolt face interface is standard and brass would be available. It has a lot of volume which keeps the pressure low while it is not so long as to require a high cost action. So what’s not to like about that?
I checked Custom Brass and Bullets and 550 Mag brass is a lot cheaper than 505 Gibbs brass. So, if ammo were available commercially, CZ (for example) might just offer the CZ550 in 550 Mag. With brass and bullets available, I am sure custom loaders would provide ammo but I don’t see it listed as a popular product. I understand that barrels are also available. In spite of all this opportunity to have a relatively inexpensive super stopper rifle, I don’t see much mention of that caliber these days. So, where is the 550 Magnum today?
SingleShot

Contact Us NitroExpress.com