xausa
(.400 member)
10/12/08 02:13 AM
Re: 375 hollnd and hollnd

My position is this: If I were to take only one rifle to Africa, it would be a .375 H&H. Were I to take two, neither would be a .375. Were I to take three or more, one would be a .375.

A .375 is like a Swiss Army knife: It is good at some tasks and marginal at others. A Swiss Army knife is as good as any other folding pocket knife for cutting, but a screwdriver does a better job driving screws, and a can opener does a better job opening cans. It's only when you don't have access to a screwdriver or a can opener that the knife proves its value.

The main use of the .375 H&H should be for thin skinned dangerous game and the large end of the plains game spectrum (lion, leopard, eland, oryx, sable, roan, gemsbok). It is marginal for thick skinned dangerous game, unless in the hands of an exceptional shot (which I do not claim to be). The fact that in many jurisdictiions it is the minimum legal caliber for such game speaks volumes. It is unnecessarily powerful for impala, bushbuck, Grant's gazelle, gerenuk, let alone Thompson's gazelle, reedbuck, klipspringer and dik-dik, all of which succomb easilty to a .243 Winchester class rifle, or even a .222 Remington.

My two gun battery would consist of a rifle for plains game (in my case a .300 H&H) and a rifle for dangerous game (in my case a .505). A three gun battery would (and did) include the .375 H&H with the other two.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com