DBBill
(.300 member)
15/02/04 02:57 AM
Re: Borrow money to take a Safari?

Ray...it couldn't have been when you were a "young man" because for $20K you could have bought many of the countries.

Back in the early '70's I almost made my 1st trip. I had been on my 1st western hunt for antelope/mule deer that was booked by Jack Atcheson...nice trophies and great trip with super folks. Jack was and still is a delight to talk to and we talked about a lot of things including my desire to hunt Africa ...some day. Sometime after I got back I got a call from Jack telling me he had an opening for 2 for an East African safari (Kenya and Tanzania or was it still Tanganyika back then) with one of the big companies...I could could pick up somone elses deposit.

The 28-day trip which included a full-bag of eveything was going for $100/day....yes that's right, $100/day plus very reasonable trophy fees. With picking up the previous deposit, the price for 2 hunters going 2x2 would have been $5600 minus $1000 or $2300 each plus airfare, trophy fees, etc. To give you youngsters some comparison prices, you could still buy a Cadillac for less than $5K and as a Captain in the USAF my monthly base salary was about $800 a month......and the 7-day antelope/mule deer hunt I went on cost me less than $1000 for the trip, licenses, tips, etc.

The kicker was he needed 2 hunters and he needed them to commit quickly....I couldn't find anyone....my Dad had no interest and everyone else I knew thought big-game hunting eneded with white-tail deer or else were strictly bird hunters.

This should have been my 1st trip to Africa but in realitiy my 1st trip didn't occur 25 years later...after I retired from the USAF and started a 2nd career, send two sons to college plus grad school for one and law school for the other, weddings, grandkids,etc, etc, etc

Like Jack Atcheson says "GO NOW". You aren't getting any younger and it won't get any cheaper.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com