allenday
(.333 member)
12/07/07 04:06 AM
Re: muzzle energy--fact or fiction

Anyone who honestly believes that FPE adds nothing to killing power is in complete denial of known physical laws, and after they spout such pathetic nonsense I tend to disbelieve anything they ever have to say ever again about hunting. I also recommend that any such pilgrim enroll in an "introductory to physical science" class at a local community college, or at least read Jim Carmichel's 'Book Of The Rifle', as well as any of Bob Hagel's books.

Shoot a few varmints with a 50 gr. bullet out of a 222 Remington, then load the same bullet in a 220 Swift and just see what sort of difference in killing power you'll experience. Then go shoot a few elk with a 30-06 loaded with a good 180 gr. bullet loaded to 2700 fps, then do the same thing with the same bullets in a 300 Winchester at 3100 fps. and you'll see, very clearly, that the 300 puts then down significantly harder, and the wound channels are larger as well.

And I have yet to visit with the experienced, credible African PH (or experienced client) yet who does not state very candidly that a 458 Lott, 450 Dakota, or 460 Weatherby does not hammer Cape buffalo much harder than does the 458 Winchester, or that the 416 Weatherby hammers bufflo a lot harder than the 416 Remington. All of these cartridges shoot the same 400 or 500 gr. bullets, but the difference in killing power stems directly from the higher velocities furnished, and thus, greater energy at all ranges. I could go on but......do I really need to?

We live in a very weird age of revisionist "bullistics", and anyone so deluded or inexperienced as to buy into some of this nonsense is in sad shape indeed........

AD

Contact Us NitroExpress.com