shakari
(.400 member)
28/05/07 02:08 AM
Re: Buffalos : what kind of trophy hunter are You ?

From my experience hunters very often prefer to hunt with a PH of their own or similar cultural background..... but be that as it may, I do think there's often a national culture to hunters and sometimes this can be subdivided by area/province/state.

I'm a Brit and as far as hunting (esp Buff hunting) for myself is concerned, I just like to hunt Buff, anytime, anywhere...... but note I use the word hunt, not particularly shoot. Some of my most memorable moments have been when I was creeping into a stationary herd and sorting through them to look for a shootable Bull. - Even if there's nothing to shoot and I've crept out again without taking a shot, it's great. I've also done it with Elephant and that's also great........ Sitting in a blind surrounded by Lions is also a lot of fun for me and with the right client it's simply fabulous........ If I can't get into a herd of Buffalo, I'm almost as happy hunting a small group of dagga boys. As far as trophies are concerned, it's always nice to look for a good spread and good bosses but if I have to choose between the two, I'd opt for good bosses. I also have a liking for an old bull with snapped off horns like an American football helmet. I've hunted an awful lot of Buffalo, both with clients and just for myself. The only one I have on my wall isn't particularly big, but he has good bosses and he gave me hell in the hunt and I love that trophy dearly.

I've found most Germans have a particular liking for abnormal horns such as bent or broken..... that's very much a cultural thing for them as is the horn blowing etc that happens at days end....... I don't know the technicalities of this, but I do like it very much...... so many people don't respect the animals they've taken, it's a pleasure to see the respect paid.

There's not a race of people I don't enjoy hunting with and as far as the Americans are concerned, I particularly enjoy hunting with Texans, although it's hard to put a finger on exactly why that is.

So what kind of a hunter am I? - I guess I'm my own kind but I obviously have to try to keep the client happy as well..... Generally, I'd say I'm the kind that likes to get as close as possible to the game, especially in the really thick stuff. The closest I've ever had a client take a Buff was last year. - He was only 19 years old, a natural hunter and brilliant shot and he took his 41 inch Buff at just 4 yards.......

I also have favourite clients. (don't know if I should admit to that!) 1 Welsh, 1 English, 1 (ex pat) South African and maybe 3 or 4 Americans....... all of them have a few things in common. They shoot very straight. don't complain when the hunting gets tough, have a sense of humour (even the Welshman! ) and I consider them all good friends as well as clients. (Actually, I don't really consider them clients at all - just good friends) With those guys, I'd hunt anytime and anywhere and if necessary, for nothing.....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com