JohnTheGreek
(.300 member)
02/10/06 08:16 AM
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT

500grains is wise with his selections but I would make what I think are a few simplifications. I don't think one needs 1000 rounds of 8-bore or 5000 rounds of 12 guage etc.. All you really need is a good stock of lead and a mould (with a few tools) to make your own. It'd make life a lot easier. I also think it is wise from an economic standpoint. If you meet a fellow explorer in the bush, he may not need 8-bore or .303 rounds but really might need (and be willing to engage in a favorable trade for) powder or a pound or two of lead to make his own specific calibre of ammo. I'd also haul some BIG kegs of black powder (for the same reasons) and only a relatively minor stock of brass. That way you can just make ammo as needed and you cut your weight by 10,000 or so rounds of brass.

I'm also not sure why you need the .500 BPE for just a single species and maybe large plains game (eland?). I'd pack the 8-bore for lion, rhino, buffalo and elephant and then use the .303 on leopard and everything else. I'm also not sure one really needs a .22 in this scenario unless they are hunting game on the sly (poaching?) ...just use the big bore paradox gun to fill shotgun (bird), small game (.22) and big bore rifle (elephant) slots.

I do agree with 500grains' desire for spare rifles but would also add a spare 44-40 revolver and carbine. Finding parts in the bush is going to be impossible so you might as well bring along a spare. Just consider the first one of either of these that breaks to be a parts gun for the second. I would also order the 8 bore with a spare set of locks and Selous sideplates....again, just in case.

Anyway, my gear for the cartridge era...

1) Double 8-bore (a PARADOX gun thus eliminating the need for the 12 bore shotgun and .22).

2) Pair of Enfield .303s

3) Pair of Colt Revolvers in 44-40

4) Pair of WInchester Carbines or Colt Lightnings in 44-40

5) Some BIG kegs of black powder , a bunch of lead bricks, moulds for each round (conical and round ball for the 8-bore) , a bunch of big bags of shot...and of course hand tools to load for all three varieties of ammunition.

6) I figure three or four hundred pieces of brass/loaded ammo (MAXIMUM 400 for the rifles and MAYBE 700-800 pieces of .44-40) for each weapon should be sufficient for a very long time.

Best,

John

P.S. Dan, let me know when you have the oxen ready and we'll be on our way!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com