shakari
(.400 member)
22/04/06 03:53 PM
Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question!

Hope I don't cause any offence when I say that:- Sport hunting elephant cows isn't as simple as some people seem to think. It causes a huge impact on herd dynamics and also usually creates a lot more problems than it solves....... Believe me, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than it first appears. You might like to read the following:-

Coming of age with Elephants - Joyce Pool
Wildlife Wars - Richard Leakey
When Elephants Weep - Jeffrey Masson & Susan Mcarthy
Among the Elephants - Iain & Oria Douglas Hamilton
Africa's Elephants - Martin Meredith
Elephant Memories Cynthia Moss
The Wildlife Game - Ron Thomson
Mahohoba - Ron Thompson

Not all of these books agree, but all do have a valid opinion and make good points and all are worth reading. By doing so, you'll be much better placed to form an informed opinion.

Any fool can shoot an Elephant (and many do ) - but to do so without something approaching an understanding of what they're doing and why they're doing it, is only half the hunt.

Personally, I believe that Elephant cows & calves should only be taken out by a proper team of (professional) cullers who should take out entire family units at one go. However, I fully support the sport hunting of Elephant bulls.

That's my personal opinion, but I should say, I also respect the opinion of those that disagree with it. There are many excellent and highly experienced PHs esp in Zimbabwe who have other opinions.

That said, not all Elephant hunts are overpriced. You can sometimes pick up late season bookings & extra or late quota, PAC or non exportable elephants hunts in a variety of African countries such as Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Botswana at fairly reasonable prices. - but you have to be prepared to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.......

As to culling in the KNP, I live only a few minutes from the bottom end of it and there is no doubt in my mind that it has far too many Elephants - but I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the brown stuff that the governing body won't have the courage to start culling in the foreseeable future. They're just too scared of the anti feelings it will stir up amongst the uninformed but hard currency rich public.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com