BlainSmipy
(.375 member)
03/02/06 11:35 AM
Re: Definition of a DG Stunt Hunt

So JPK, if it were a 50 Alaskan in the trusty 1895 Lever Gun, and it made the same FPE as the 375H&H would it still be a stunt hunt? Really any cartridge at and above 4000FPE is more than enough gun to kill anything. If you hit that magical number you have "enough gun". Unless you are a PH guiding hunts for DG, do you really need a arm cannon? If the animal charges the PH is going to dispatch it, per the 15 PH's I've talked to. They don't want to die anymore than anyone else. Most PH's will tell, they'd rather the client shoot what they're comfortable with than what they perceive as the "right" gun to use. Why? Because bullet placement is worth at least 2000 FPE no matter how you look at it. And if you don't have the right angle for the shot...DON'T TAKE IT.

You say the 375H&H is legal, what does that mean? Legal because of the ballistics or because its on a list of "legal" DG guns? I'm not being cheeky, I really don't know.

Now DG with a bow is tricky, it certainly is the way our cave dwelling relatives did it and they got away with it, sometimes. I'm sure ole' Ted N. would love it that way. But again, it really doesn't matter because the PH will always be there to back you up.

So I say hunt however you want, with whatever you want and the poo-pooer's can just stay home.

Just My 2 Cents,

Colorado

Contact Us NitroExpress.com