Postman
(.375 member)
21/08/16 11:14 PM
Travel and the "lost luggage" boogeyman

What is the actual likelihood of loosing one's luggage travelling to an expensive and time bound African hunt - how many forum members have ACTUALLY had this happen to them?

The basis of asking the question is really to get a real world handle on the odds of my next overseas African hunt going pear shaped because of a lost rifle case or equally as devastating, a lost duffle bag containing the ammo......

I am planning to travel with a single rifle, my most prized earthly possession, a bespoke double rifle with two barrel sets, one in .450NE, and the second in .375 Flanged Magnum.... I was able to source loaded ammo, brass, reloading dies, et. al, within a short drive from my house and in stock at a gun shop for the .500NE. The .375 FL Mag was a different story and took a mind numbing amount of money and time after a VERY long search to get brass cases. I did luck out and find some Norma cartridges for a whopping total of 50 rounds in a gun shop out of province that I was able to mail order during the process of finding brass.

So, I am clearly aware that ammo availability in Africa will be effectively ZERO during a 10 or 14 day hunt. I travel fairly extensively on business and have yet to lose any luggage (fingers crossed I haven't just cursed myself). My first trip to Africa involved 4 separate flights strung together over two days to get me to my destination and another 4 flights and two days return home. Everything went smoothly, other than it was nerve wracking worrying that both rifles and ammo would make it to the hunt. I was less worried on the way back, because my hunt was over, but I never the less did not want to lose my rifles.

I chose the calibers I chose, because I felt they were the best of the best. I hand load so as long as I have dies and brass, life is good. I now have a lifetime supply of the .375 FL Mag brass and thanks to the wonderful folk at Hornady, I expect that the .450NE is and will continue to be easily obtainable near home.

So, back to the original question, how many members have actually experienced loss of their kit on their way to an African Safari?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com