EricD
(.416 member)
07/12/04 06:50 AM
Is bigger really better?

I've watched a few hunting videos lately, such as "Death by doublerifle", some "capstick" films, a few Mark Sullivan films and various others. Beside the episodes where the animal is pumped up with adrenelin (especially in the MS films...) many of the shots have been on grazing buff etc that were calm and unawear of being hunted. What I have found interesting is that many of the hunters have used large caliburs such as the 600NE, 577NE, 500 Jeffrey etc. I was kind of expecting to see a visable differance in shot reaction compaired to those shot with a 450/400NE, 416 or 375. But it kind of hasn't been quite so as far as I could see. OK, some of the smaller bore shots have put the animal right down because of a hit to the spine, but when looking at hit in what appears to be in the heart/lung region, most of the animals I've seen in these movies have usually gone just as far, and stood just as long, with both "big bigbores" and "smaller bigbores".

I'm kind of thinking that logically this shouldn't be so, because a bigger bullet makes a bigger hole etc. And I know that the many moose I have shot with a 375H&H have gone down much quicker with it, then with a 30-06, 308 or 6.5x55.

So then I'm thinking that these guys running around with some very big (and cool, I might add!) guns might be shooting poorly because they're flinching. So the benefit of using a big double is kind of, well, not there!

I sort of presume that the posters on this board might not have this problem, being more interested in hunting/shooting/guns then many others, and thus probably practicing more. But do you guys agree that there are a lot of double users out there that should maybe stick to something more managable that they actually practice with? I looks to me like there are quite a lot of double users who have such a gun more for the status, than the actual interest in them. A good shot with a 416 or 375 has to be better than a mediocre shot with a "super bigbore"!

Erik

(The above is of course a ploy to get you guys to question your own abilities, and thus sell your double cheap, crashing the double market, so I can get one for a reasonable price! )

Contact Us NitroExpress.com