mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
16/03/03 03:08 AM
Re: "Black & Blue" Duo courtesy of Mikeh416Rigby

The Blue Wildebeest in the top photo was taken last year just outside of Warmbath,RSA.This wasn't so much of a hunt, as responding to a plea of help from a campground owner to take out some excess game on his property.My outfitter had received a call the previous evening from the land owner to see if anyone wanted a nice Blue Wildebeest for their collection. Of course I was happy to help him out. This guy was strong! He took two hits on the shoulder from a 375 Ackley at no more than 65 yards. He didn't even flinch on the first shot. The second shot dropped him. Due to the situation, I never measured him. We just drank a toast to him, caped him out, and sent him to the taxidermist. The landowner roasted him on a giant spit 2 days later, and hosted one heck of a party.
The Black Wildebeest was taken 3 years ago while hunting with Jan Oelofse, PH Steve Tors, near Mt. Etjo, Namibia. This was my second hunt with Jan and Steve. I highly recommend them. Anyway, this critter was the runningest thing I've ever seen. He was a lone bull that seemed to have staked his claim to an area of about 6 square miles. It was very flat, and wide open. For 2 days, whenever we got within 1000 yards of him, he just wheeled about, and took off. Finally Steve determined that the only way we would get a chance at him would be to appeal to its sense of curiousity. We got within about 1000 yards of him, then Steve & I got out of the vehicle and had the tracker drive off in the opposite direction. Steve and I then huddled up inside some thorn bushes. Every couple of minutes, Steve would stand up and wave his arms about wildly, then quickly sit back down. Every time he did this, the bull would come closer. After nearly an hour of this game, the bull had closed to 174 yards, and I was finally able to take him. I used my Mod 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Ackley.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com