shakari
(.400 member)
06/03/10 07:08 PM
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground?

Mozambique has improved a lot over recent years and whilst there's the fair share of fly by nights around there's also some very good operations up there.

Amongst 'em and in no particular order Johan Strasheim, Toni Wicker, Jason Van Aarde and Walter Enslin.... all offer some great hunts. Both Jason and Walter took excellent elephant up there last year.... both in the region of 70 lbs a side and both report sightings of even bigger ones they were unable to make contact with. It is still and always will be tough hunting though.

Update on why the USF&WS won't allow elephant imports despite the country having a perfectly legitimate CITES quota is that the USF&WS claim the country doesn't have a properly organised elephant management plan in place.

I reckon this is utter bunk and I'd say their management plan is better organised than some neighbouring countries that USF&WS do allow imports from.

The truth is that around the time of the original trade ban Moz applied to move a very large consignment of ivory and upon investigation, it turned out to have come from elsewhere in Africa and been smuggled into Moz...... however, this was bloody years ago and since then everything, including the people involved have changed.

As I see it, the truth is that the USF&WS are behaving like a bitter and twisted ex-wife who just wants to stuff thing up just because she can.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com