eagle27
(.400 member)
27/10/09 05:25 PM
Re: Cape Buffalo Bulls#*t

Westley 375

I’m not quite sure what the problem is with shooting buffalo or any other dangerous game with something other than a double, with a scope, or at any reasonable range that the shot must be taken at the time. After all the “real men” you speak of, and I assume you are referring to Bell, Taylor, Hunter etc, all took dangerous game with doubles, magazines and single shot firearms, using scopes on some of them, and at the various ranges that they found the game at. They all spoke of close encounters and charges not being the norm for their hunting but of course considering the huge numbers of game of all sorts that they shot, it was inevitable that they did face some dangerous situations and charges.

Now days of course you don’t usually get the opportunity to shoot in amongst the herds where you are more likely to have a dangerous encounter, or face wounded animals that will charge. In fact PHs probably discourage this as they don’t want animals wounded unnecessarily due to cost and possible danger to themselves and their clients.

While I have not hunted Africa, I have hunted buffalo in Australia before the “trophy” times and was able to get amongst the herds and in close to plenty of beasts. Some I took at 10 feet or so and some at 50 odd yards with an open sighted Mauser 404. A mixture of bulls and cows were taken over a weeks hunting and all meat was recovered for pet meat. Wild buffalo herds with cows and calves can be as dangerous to be amongst as any animal. The big old Aussie buffalo bulls also show an arrogant and aggressive attitude too, much like I understand the African buffalo do. So no flies on my neighbour’s dangerous game and the country up there is as tough or even tougher than Africa in parts.

I think the most important part of any hunting is enjoying the stalk and taking an animal cleanly under whatever conditions you find yourself in.

My humble thoughts anyway

Contact Us NitroExpress.com